Nutella Banana Bread
Nutella Banana Bread is delicious proof that that everything is better with chocolate–even breakfast food. Packed with moisture, this homemade banana bread is swirled with chocolate hazelnut spread for a sweet start to your day.
I like to keep people guessing. Take today for example, if anyone saw the black circles under my eyes they wouldn’t be able to say with certainty if I was sleep deprived or fell face first into a dirty ashtray. Honestly, I’m not so sure myself — and I don’t even smoke. One thing I do know is that working a 9 to 5 job wears on you when the 5 turns out to be 5 AM. And that caffeine is the best thing since sliced bread.
Speaking of sliced bread, there was a raccoon in my driveway this morning eating the remnants of a stale, honey wheat loaf straight from my trash can. Not only did the masked bandit tip over the bin and unlatch the lid, it then proceeded to chew its way through 2 plastic bags to reach the loaf. Outside of my own mirror, I’ve never seen anything so obsessed with bread in my life. It was an eye-opening revelation: raccoons are my spirit animal. We’re one and the same: nocturnal, living with smokey circles around our eyes and love bread so much we’d eat it out of the garbage.
While my local raccoon has a preference for honey wheat, the one loaf I’d eat anytime, anywhere – whether it’s from a bread box or a trash bin – is Nutella Banana Bread. Loaded with the world’s favorite chocolate hazelnut spread, Nutella Banana Bread it is the most comforting of comfort foods. It’s moist and flavorful, plus, a big fat slice goes great with coffee (my 2nd favorite thing after bread carbs). Devour this sweet bread for breakfast, as a snack or share a bite with a random animal in your neighborhood – anyone and anything trying it will be happy they did.
Before sharing the estimate for Nutella Banana Bread, here are a few tips to help you out:
Overripe bananas are a must for this recipe. Choose bananas so brown and covered with bruises that they look like Mike Tyson punched them.
Full-fat sour cream is a great substitute for plain Greek yogurt in this recipe.
Always use the spoon and level method to measure flour. Scooping from the bag overpacks flour into the measuring cup which steals moisture from the bread.
Only bake this bread in a 9 x 5 metal loaf pan. Glass pans require longer bake times and, therefore, are not recommended for this quick bread recipe.
How to Store Nutella Banana Bread
Store homemade bread in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days or in the refrigerator up to 7 days.
Can You Freeze Banana Bread?
Yes, you can freeze banana bread up to 3 months. For best results, double wrap the cooled loaf with plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
I hope you enjoy this Nutella Banana Bread recipe. Please leave a comment and review below when you try it yourself. And, while you’re at it, sign up for my Recipe Newsletter so you never miss a tempting recipe.
Finally, if you like Nutella desserts then you’ll love this Nutella Cake. Incredibly moist, this cake’s topped with a thick layer of buttercream for a combo of chocolate and hazelnut flavors in every scrumptious bite.
Nutella Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour unbleached
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt fine
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 cups overripe bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs room temperature, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract pure
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt room temperature
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup Nutella divided
Nutella Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degreees.
- Line a 9 x 5 metal loaf pan with parchment paper then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk mashed bananas and beaten eggs with vanilla and Greek yogurt until combined.
- Add cooled melted butter to the mashed banana mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add flour mixture, 1 cup at a time then gently stir until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Avoid overmixing.
- Spoon 1 cup of banana bread batter into the parchment lined loaf pan.
- Microwave Nutella in a heatsafe bowl for 10 seconds then stir until smooth.
- Dollop 3 Tablespoons of Nutella on top of the banana batter layer in the loaf pan.
- Top with 1 cup of banana bread batter.
- Dollop 3 Tablespoons of Nutella onto the banana batter layer.
- Top with remaining banana bread batter.
- Spoon remaining Nutella onto the banana batter.
- Using a knife, swirl banana bread batter and Nutella together in the loaf pan to create a marbling effect.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Tent bread with foil while it bakes if it appers to be overbrowning.
- Cool bread in the pan for 10 minutes before turning loaf out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve.
- Bread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days or in the refrigerator up to 7 days.