Now these are some coffee infused waves that I definitely want to surf!
By now, I'm sure we have all heard of the viral Dalgona coffee trend. I'll be honest, at first I wanted nothing to do with this trend. I usually keep instant coffee in the very back of my pantry. It’s never used for drinks, and only rarely used for adding extra coffee flavor to baked treats (& still, real espresso or coffee works better for that). That being said- this new trend, "Dalgona Coffee" or "Whipped Coffee", kept popping up again…and again…and again. It got to the point where I honestly I just needed to try it out to see if it was worth the hype. First thing I did was research. I scrolled through a bunch of people’s recipes & 99% of them were just too sweet for me. Even in my normal coffee, I don’t like adding sugar. If people insist on sugar in their coffee, it should always be turbinado sugar. Something about it has a raw and similar to brown sugar quality, so it adds a creamy rich sugar instead of that harsh white sugar aftertaste. Basically, it blends much better into any coffee. The recipe itself is super short and super easy to make. I also adjusted it to be fit for a mixer so that no one gets tired trying to whip this up by hand! Overall this is a real coffee treat- it's creamy and concentrated, yet sweet and refreshing. The ideal mid-day pick me up or afternoon treat!
- 4 tbsp instant coffee
- 4 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar (or white sugar)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
- In a mixer with a whisk attachment*, add instant coffee, hot water, and both sugars. Whisk on high until stiff peaks form.
- In a tall glass, add ice and pour milk on top. Top with whipped coffee. Dust with cocoa powder if desired. Be sure to mix well before drinking as the whipped coffee is very concentrated if not combined with milk.
- *You can whisk by hand, but it definitely takes longer and requires some muscle!