Strawberry Lavender Gin & Tonic
***This post is made in collaboration with Empress 1908 Gin. All content, ideas and words are my own.***Spring and summer are coming your way in the form of this Strawberry Lavender Gin & Tonic! This cocktail comes together with a very special gin, and a simple syrup that is deliciously floral and slightly fruity. The strawberry lavender syrup is an absolute dream too. The sweet, fragrant flavor of the lavender pairs perfectly with the fresh strawberries. And the strawberries balance out the kick of the quinine in the tonic water and the juniper of the gin…making for a delicious and well-rounded gin and tonic.
Gin & Tonic:First things first…what is a gin and tonic? A classic gin and tonic is a highball cocktail that is made with gin and tonic water, then poured over a large amount of ice. The ratio of gin to tonic varies according to preference and the other ingredients that you add, but most recipes call for a 1:1 or a 1:3 ratio.Empress 1908 Gin:Now let’s discuss the gin. Why is this gin purple? Empress 1908 Gin is handcrafted in small batch copper-pot stills, the distinct flavor profile is a result of eight natural botanicals: butterfly pea blossom, Fairmont Empress Blend Tea, juniper, grapefruit peel, coriander seed, cinnamon bark and rose petal. The rich purple hue actually comes from the butterfly pea blossom. And here is a fun fact for you. The deep indigo hue changes to bright lavender, soft pink or fuchsia when you add citrus or tonic (depending on how much you add). How cool is that?!? It is stunning! And, it is absolutely magical to watch as you mix!Empress 1908 Gin is the gin to use with this strawberry lavender simple syrup. It is a match made in heaven! And, honestly, this gin makes some of the best cocktails I have ever sipped on. 😉 So, if you love gin and tonics, please do yourself a favor and give this recipe a try. I promise, you will love it too.Below I share some helpful tips and tricks to make this the best drink possible.
Ingredient Notes For This Strawberry Lavender Gin & Tonic:
- Simple Syrup – All you need to do is make a honey simple syrup, by simmering equal parts water and honey (in order to dissolve the honey). However, it is important that you do not boil the water, because that is not good for the honey.
- Lavender – Use this sparingly. Using too much will make it taste like perfume. The amount shown below is a good amount. It enhances the strawberry but doesn’t overtake it.
- Tip – The longer you let the syrup steep the more potent the flavor will be. After one hour of steep time the strawberry flavor is there but it’s still faint. However, after two hours the simple syrup is nicely concentrated with strawberry flavor. Just keep this in mind and plan ahead.
- Lemon Juice – To balance out the flavors, you will need a fair amount of lemon juice. It may seem like a lot but, believe me, it works perfectly for this drink. Also, be sure to use fresh and not bottled.
- Tonic Water – Not all tonic water is created equal. Some have natural sugar and natural quinine while others do not. Just make sure to do your research before you buy.
And, for more Empress 1908 Gin recipes, please give these a try:
- This Artisanal Kitchen Supply Marble Trivet in White is from Bed Bath and Beyond.
- This Cruet is from Amazon.
- And lastly, my Stemless Wine Glasses are from World Market.
Strawberry Lavender Gin & Tonic
- STRAWBERRY LAVENDER SIMPLE SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup Filtered Water
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Organic Whole Lavender Flowers
- 6 Strawberries, sliced
- STRAWBERRY LAVENDER GIN & TONIC:
- 2 oz Empress 1908 Gin
- 1 oz Strawberry Lavender Simple Syrup
- 1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice (equivalent to one large lemon)
- 2 oz Tonic Water
- Strawberries, for garnish
- Lemon, for garnish
- Strawberry Lavender Simple Syrup: In a small pot, warm the water to almost boiling. Remove from heat and stir in the honey until fully dissolved. Add the lavender and strawberries and give it a gentle stir. Cover and let steep until it is completely cool. (I like to let it steep for two hours). Discard the lavender and strawberries.
- Strawberry Lavender Gin & Tonic: To a glass add the ice, Empress Gin, simple syrup, lemon juice and tonic water. Stir to combine.
- Garnish: Top with a strawberry and lemon wedge. Drink and enjoy!
- Simple Syrup: It is important that you do not boil the water, because that is not good for the honey. And the longer you let the syrup steep the more potent the flavor will be. After one hour of steep time the strawberry flavor is there but it’s still faint. However, after two hours the simple syrup is nicely concentrated with strawberry flavor. Just keep this in mind and plan ahead.
- Lemon Juice: To balance out the flavors, you will need a fair amount of lemon juice. It may seem like a lot but, believe me, it works perfectly for this drink. Also, be sure to use fresh and not bottled.
- Tonic Water: Not all tonic water is created equal. Some have natural sugar and natural quinine while others do not. Just make sure to do your research before you buy.
- Simple Syrup: Store in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 weeks.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published May 16th, 2022 7:11 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!