West Indian Aubergine Curry
Aubergines are a GREAT meat replacement and work so well in so many recipes, especially this curry! The meaty texture is a perfect alternative to chicken/beef. It also is a great absorbent of all the beautiful spices and flavour that comes from the sauce. Combined with lots of fresh onion garlic and ginger, it’s punchy sauce is also so healthy for your immune system.
As it was earth day yesterday it would be rude not to share this dish, as it is completely plant based and vegan. After cooking more plant based dishes recently it’s easy to see how flavoursome vegan food can be if you put the effort into it. When working with spices you can get some awesome layers of flavour to your dish, without directly effecting the environment!
I served this dish with some nutty brown rice, which goes so well with the spices sauce.
What more could you want from an easy midweek meal?
For more plant based recipe inspirations keep checking my page! :)
- 2 Servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 45 Minutes|Total time: 55 Minutes
- Slice your aubergine into 1cm discs, and place in a bowl..
- 2 tbsp turmeric, 2 tsp cumin,2 tsp ground coriander, 2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp salt
- Coat the aubergine both sides using all of the mixture.
- In a large saucepan cook the aubergines for approx 5 mins on each side until golden.
- Meanwhile pour in 250ml water into the residue bowl and add... 2 tsp tomato purée, 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp chillies flakes, 1 cm finely chopped ginger
- Remove and now soften your onion celery and garlic.
- Place your liquid mixture, aubergines coconut milk and tomorrow’s into the pan and cook on a low heat for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins add your spinach and cook for a future 5 until the aubergines are soft.
- Serve with your favourite type of rice.
- Regularly stir your aubergines through the curry sauce when cooking, but be sure to carefully so do so you don’t split them.