Tomato Lentil Soup- Middle Eastern Style!
This lentil soup recipe is delicious, earthy, and perfect for a cold or lazy day. The dish is both comforting and easy to make which is what initially attracted me to this recipe. It is perfect for a weeknight dinner, especially for all the busy parents out there! You might be thinking.. what does tomato lentil soup even taste like? Well, it is very similar to a traditional vegetable soup, however the lentils offer more texture and flavour... the spices along with the fire roasted tomatoes make it special. Lentil soup is very popular in the Middle Eastern world, so I thought adding a variation of tomato would be a hit and it certainly is!
- 6 servings
- Prep time: 5 Minutes|Cook time: 60 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 5 Minutes
- Start by heating your pan with olive oil. Add the diced onion and garlic. Allow it to cook until the onion is translucent in colour.
- Add the tomato paste and fire roasted tomatoes.
- Add the smoked paprika and allspice.
- Add the vegetable broth along with the lentils and allow it to cook over the stove covered for 1 hour and leave it on low for another 20 min or so on medium heat.
- Once it’s all done give it a good stir and add the black paper and freshly squeezed lemon. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
- It is best to use green lentils ... orange/red lentils will still taste good however they are more likely to fall apart and the finished product would no longer resemble a soup, but rather a porridge.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go