The dulce de leche and the dough, after spending some quality time in the fridge.
Dulce De Leche (caramel) Croissants
After I made the dulce de leche using this recipe, I wanted to use it as a filling for the croissants. My husband requested Nutella filling too, so I added that option below.
I divided the dough into 4 even pieces. 3 will be filled with Dulce de leche and one with Nutella (Sorry hubby, but DDL rules!). Using a rolling pin, I flattened it to be as thin as I could.
Using a knife I covered it completely with a thin layer of Dulce de leche, making sure it reaches the edges too.
Then I folded into half
Using a pizza cutter, I cut it into triangles. Then I rolled it in, from the base of the triangle.
Until it looked like this.
I brushed it with egg on top, trying to avoid the filling and brushing only the dough. I repeated those steps with the entire dough, making sure to make some with Nutella.
Out of the oven, yumm.
My husband requested a sugar glaze on top of the chocolate ones, similar to the glaze it usually has in bakeries.
I must say that the smell was as good as the taste, which made all the family members rush to the kitchen to eat
The next morning the plate was empty. I love it, as it gives me the opportunity to bake something fresh everyday.
- 28 Units
- Prep time: 2 Hours|Cook time: 15 Minutes|Total time: 2 Hours 15 Minutes
For the dough
For the filling
For the brushing
For the glazing
Make the dough
- Mix for approximately 3 minutes the flour, butter with the milk, add the egg.
- Add the salt.
- Mix for 2 minutes.
- Cover and place in a dark, hot place for an hour.
- Check after an hour if the dough is double its size, of not, leave for another hour.
- Once the dough is ready, knead for a few minutes and divide the dough into 4 even pieces.
Making the shape
- Knead the dough until soft, and then using a rolling pin, flatten it on top of a floured surface.
- If the dough is too dry, add a bit of melted butter to it.
- Once flatten to a thin layer of dough, cover it completely with the filling of your choosing.
- Then, fold it into half (pictures above)
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into triangles
- Fold it in, from the base of the triangle.
- Place on a baking sheet
Brush with egg
- Once all the Croissants are ready to be baked, leave it to rest for 15 minutes
- After the time has passed, brush it with egg. Try to avoid the filling and brushing only the dough
- Bake for 15 minutes on 180 degrees celsius
- Optional: for glazing boil 1 cup of water and add 1 cup of sugar. Melt the sugar until dissolved completely.
- The minute the Croissants are out of the oven, cover with the sugar glaze. If it will cool down, it would not stick.