So, I am from Austria and I am living in Ireland now; Recently Lidl had Austrian week, where they had loads of Austrian food and I bought the “schwäbische Spätzle” or also called egg noodles. They are perfect for making a cheesy dish! They are super quick and you can also freeze them! We could make them ourselves with a spaetzle grater but that is a really good alternative. So for the dish, I added some bacon, but you don’t have to. Also up to your choice is adding some creme fraiche or sour cream to add some moisture to it. Let's get cooking!
Käsespätzle 🇦🇹 / Cheese-spaetzle
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes Cook time: 20 Minutes Total time: 35 min
- 500g egg noodles (Lidl) /spaetzle
- 100 ml creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup bacon, chopped
- 1/3 cup spring onions, chopped
- salt, pepper
- 200g cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- bring a pot of water to boil, add the egg noodles/ spaetzle
- Chop bacon and spring onion and fry in frying pan until crispy
- remove spaetzle from water when they are swimming on top
- add spaetzle to frying pan and stir
- add creme fraiche and half of the cheese, stir
- add salt, pepper and parsley
- put everything into an oven dish and add the rest of the cheese on top
- put into oven for 15-20min until golden
- creme fraiche is not necessary, you can substitute it with cream or sour cream.
- You can leave the bacon out and make it vegetarian
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!