Creamy Vegan Lemon "Parmesan" Orzo With Asparagus
A Creamy Vegan Lemon “Parmesan” Orzo with Asparagus that’s so cheesy, you’re going to forget its Vegan! Delicate orzo pasta, tender asparagus and hint of lemon in this perfect dinner.
Most on-the-spur-of-the-moment recipe I have ever made. No jokes.
I had a bunch of asparagus from forever ago when I was obsessed with it, and I could see the tips starting to soften and get mushy. So I just really wanted to use that up somehow.
And since I'm having a pasta phase I wanted to do some sort of a pasta, and then remembered an Orzo recipe from Half Baked Harvest’s Instagram I'd come across at one point which used some veggies. Turned out it was a cheesy lemon zucchini orzo.
I went off of that and created this Vegan lemon orzo with asparagus instead.
It was so good that I regretted using all of that asparagus in the one recipe, coz I couldn't make any more the next day.
- 2 Cups
- Prep time: 5 Minutes|Cook time: 15 Minutes|Total time: 20 Minutes
- Heat a skillet over medium, pour olive oil, and fry garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add orzo, asparagus and toss.
- Pour in a little broth to deglaze the pan, then pour in the rest and stir.
- Add parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, onion powder, salt and pepper and mix well. Bring to a low boil, then reduce to simmer and cook about 10 minutes until orzo is done.
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut milk and nutritional yeast.
- Pour mixture into skillet, toss to coat, and allow to slightly thicken for a minute. It should be creamy. Add more broth if too thick.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot!
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go