Tortilla De Zucchini
One of my favorite things about summer is having a garden. I grow tomatoes, zucchinis, cucumbers, greens, asparagus and more! It usually does very well and I end up having lots of veggies. My zucchinis are doing so good, I pick about 5 zucchinis a day. That means that I end up eating lots of zucchinis every day! Yummy! I am also happy that my 1-year old baby loves to eat zucchini.
Today I am making a simple tortilla (omelette) with zucchinis instead of potatoes. The classic Spanish Omelette (Tortilla Española or Tortilla de Patatas) has onions, potatoes and eggs. This one has onions, garlic and zucchini (and eggs). The way to make the tortilla (omelette) is exactly the same as the Spanish Omelette.
This is a healthy and easy recipe. You can eat it warm or cold. It is perfect as an appetizer or as a meal with a simple salad as a side dish.
Tortilla De Zucchini
- 4 Cups Sliced Zucchini 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 Sweet onion Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Chopped garlic 2 medium cloves
- 4 medium eggs
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive oil
- In a medium pan, drizzle 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Cook the onion on low heat for about 6 to 8 minutes, season with 1/2 tsp salt.
- A couple minutes before the onion is done, add the garlic.
- In a separate pan, drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and cook the zucchi for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the onions and zucchini are cooking, whisk the eggs in a large bowl with 1/2 tsp of salt.
- When the onion and galic are cooked, add them to the zucchi and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the eggs.
- Be sure it is juicy! If it looks dry just beat another egg and pour it into the mixture.
- Using a 9 inch pan (or a bigger one for a bigger omelette!) drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place on medium-low heat. Once the oil is warm, pour the mixture in. After about a minute, peel back the edges of the omelette from the pan so it doesn’t stick. Shaking the pan also helps to ensure the omelette doesn’t stick.
- In about 6-7 minutes, the bottom of the omelette should be cooked. Position a plate on top of the omelette in the pan, and flip it. The omelette now will be on the plate. Next, slide it back into the pan, with the cooked face of the omelette facing up.
- Cook it for another 3-5 minutes and flip again. Now the omelette should have a consistent texture. Slide it back into the pan for another 30 seconds and flip it again. I always flip the omelette 5-6 times. My grandmother told me that the more you flip it, the bettter!
- Enjoy, Bon profit!