The Best Scalloped Potatoes With Mushroom Soup
I've always been a fan of the almighty potato. French fries to mashed taters’ and everything in between. It only took a couple of months on a low carb diet to realize that potatoes are literally my FAVORITE food. After trying a really bad version of scalloped potatoes, I set out to find a perfect recipe for them and this is it. Enter Scalloped Potatoes with Mushroom Soup.
There are a few boxes that I need checked when it comes to making the perfect scalloped potatoes. Number one? The consistency of the potatoes. The worst is when they are undercooked, so timing and testing before pulling them out of the oven is everything.
Secondly, the flavor. Lastly... creaminess. If you can nail all three, you have a winner. This recipe promises the possibility of all three.
SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH MUSHROOM SOUP RECIPE
Ready to make delicious scalloped potatoes with mushroom soup? This easy recipe is creamy, rich and packed with the best flavor.
Condensed mushroom soup and sour cream help to make this dish extra creamy.
Then, the addition of a little celery salt will make a lasting impression that you will crave time and time again.
This delicious side dish is perfect for holidays but also easy enough to make for the perfect addition to any meal.
These scalloped potatoes are also perfect to make ahead of time, too. They're really easy to reheat when you are ready to serve them.
SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH MUSHROOM SOUP INGREDIENTS
Here are the simple ingredients used to make this yummy potato recipe. There are a couple more ingredients than I prefer for a recipe, but I promise they are all commonly sourced and you probably have the spices and staples like milk on hand already.
- Gold Potatoes
- Sweet Onion
- Bacon Bits
- Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Whole Milk
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Celery Seeds
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Pepper
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Colby Jack
- Shredded Mild Cheddar
Now that you have your ingredients together, it's time to grab your apron.
HOW TO MAKE SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH MUSHROOM SOUP
This recipe is pretty simple to put together. It involves making a dreamy creamy sauce, layering with potatoes and cheese and baking to absolute perfection.
EASY POTATO RECIPES
Love a good potato recipe?
Here are a few more to add to your meal rotation.
Ultimate Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
Chicken and Potatoes Slow Cooker Recipe“Ultimate Cheddar Mashed Potatoes” — Cutefetti
Roasted Potatoes Made Amazing with One Secret Ingredient“Chicken and Potatoes Slow Cooker Recipe” — Cutefetti
“Roasted Potatoes Made Amazing with One Secret Ingredient” — Cutefetti
The Best Scalloped Potatoes With Mushroom Soup
- 6 potatoes, medium size, gold potatoes. (Approximately 5 cups sliced)
- ⅓ cup Sweet Onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup Bacon Bits
- 3 tablespoons Butter (I used unsalted, but you can use salted)
- 3 tablespoons Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 teaspoon Celery Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Pepper
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Shredded Colby Jack
- 1 cup Shredded Mild Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Butter or use Non-Stick Cooking Spray to coat a 9 x 9 baking dish. Set aside.
- Clean the potatoes, peel, and slice them approximately ⅛ to ¼ inch thick. You can use a Mandolin or do it with a knife. I used a chef knife.
- Put the sliced potatoes in a medium-size bowl filled with cold water. Putting them in cold water when they are sliced prevents them from browning and helps get some of the starch out. Set aside.
- In a medium-size saucepan, add the bacon bits and the chopped onions.
- Add the butter and mix until the butter is melted over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until all blended and you have a thick mixture.
- Add the milk and the cream of mushroom soup. Whisk, over medium heat, until all combined. You will have a thick sauce.
- Add the spices and mix until incorporated
- Take off the heat and add the sour cream. Mix until all combined. Set aside.
- Take the sliced potatoes out of the water. Pat dry, and place approximately ⅓ of the potatoes in the coated baking dish.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese over the potatoes. About ½ cup.
- Add ½ of the milk mixture, spread evenly.
- Add ⅓ of the sliced potatoes
- Add about ½ cup shredded cheese
- Add the remaining milk mixture.
- Add the remaining of the potatoes
- Sprinkle it with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered, in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes
- Bake until it is golden, and the potatoes are nice and tender.
- Serve and enjoy
- Excellent side dish to serve with chicken breast, sausage, steak.
- If made ahead of time, you can warm them up by putting them back in the oven at 325 degrees F for 10 minutes or until desired heat.
- If you have any leftovers, you can keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.