Pizza Baked Tofu
This pizza baked tofu is quick and easy to prepare, and is a super high protein way to enjoy those classic pizza flavours! Customise with your favourite toppings.
Is there anything that’s not improved by smothering it in tomato sauce and cheese? I’m generally not a huge fan of plain bread, for example, but slap a bit of sauce and cheese on it and call it a pizza, and I’m sold.
The same goes for this pizza baked tofu – it’s enough to convert even the most ardent tofu sceptic.
What is pizza baked tofu?
This pizza baked tofu consists of:
- big pieces of extra firm tofu - this is in place of the usual bread base (click here to find out how to cook tofu that doesn't suck!)
- rich tomato pizza sauce (I used a shop-bought sauce, because lazy - you could use homemade tomato sauce if you prefer)
- gooey melted mozzarella cheese
- my favourite pizza toppings
It’s all baked up in one dish, so it takes next to no time to prepare. Just assemble it all in the dish, and pop it in the oven to get nice and bubbly.
You’ll end up with firm pieces of tofu that soak up the rich tomato sauce from both sides, making it super tasty. And the vegetables and cheese are truly reminiscent of my favourite pizza.
Pizza Baked Tofu
- 400 g (~ 1 lb) extra firm tofu
- 250 g (~ 1 cup) good quality tomato pasta sauce
- Your favourite pizza toppings (I used yellow pepper, mushrooms, and sliced black olives)
- 125 g (~ 4 1/2 oz) fresh mozzarella, roughly torn
- 2 tbsp finely grated vegetarian parmesan-style cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried basil (or dried mixed herbs)
- Cut the tofu into two thick slices, and squeeze out any excess liquid. You can use a tofu press if you have one, or just squeeze the slices of tofu tightly inside a clean tea towel.
- Add half of the tomato sauce to a baking dish (mine measured around 7 x 11 inches), and place the two slices of tofu on top. Spread the remaining sauce on top of the tofu.
- Scatter over your favourite pizza toppings, being sure not to overcrowd the dish. Then add the torn pieces of mozzarella, and a little parmesan too. I also added some dried basil.
- Bake at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for around 20-25 minutes, until the cheese has crisped up to your liking.