Crispy Tofu Steaks
I often hear many people say they don't like tofu because of its texture, however, I find many have just had badly prepared tofu! As a vegetarian I have experimented a lot with tofu and this by far will give you the crispiest tofu ever. Please share with all your friends that turn their nose at tofu, this will have them coming back for seconds!
This is also the easiest recipe ever, no need to press your tofu for yours, or do strange things to it like freeze, boil, thaw, etc!
What you'll need:
- extra firm tofu
- all purpose flour
- garlic powder
- panko bread crumbs
- unsweetened almond milk/milk of your choice
- vegetable oil for frying
I like having this tofu on top of salads, in sandwiches smothered in buffalo sauce, or on its own with a side of veggies!
Pan fry your breaded tofu in a shallow pan. You will want your tofu to be golden brown.
This makes an amazing salad topper!
These tofu steaks make a great entree!
Crispy Tofu Steaks
- 1 pack of extra firm tofu
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp peper
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- Slice your tofu into 6 slices and pat dry with paper towel.
- In a shallow bowl mix together your flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk your egg and almond milk together until well combined.
- Use a third bowl to hold your panko.
- Follow this step with each slice of tofu: Dip your tofu in the flour mixture, then in the egg mixture, finally in the panko breading.
- Heat your oil in a pan until it is hot enough for frying. You can drop in a bit of the breading mixture to see if it sizzles and is hot enough. During this time preheat your oven to 325F.
- Carefully add your breaded tofu to the hot oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Then transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and finish cooking in the oven for 8-10 minutes. This extra step in the oven will make your tofu steaks extra crispy!
- Enjoy! Can be reheated in the oven!