I usually post on here only Italian recipes so I am sure that they are authentic, but I made this totally delicious, vegetarian nachos-inspired (not the authentic stuff) dish and I simply had to share it. It’s the perfect easy food to make for a chilled evening on the sofa spent in front of the football or to just put in the middle of the table on a family meal and let everyone dig in and help themselves. Let me know what you and your family think of it if you make it!
- 10.5oz (300g) low-salt corn tortilla chips
- 2 x 14oz (400g) cans beans (I used 1 black and 1 red kidney beans)
- 1 x 14oz (400g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 lime, juiced
- 5oz (145g) cheddar cheese, grated
- green yogurt or creme fraiche
- cherry tomatoes (optional)
- pickled onions (optional)
- fresh coriander (optional)
- Add some olive oil to a pan and cook the onion until softened. Add the garlic and paprika and cook for another couple of minutes whilst stirring.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, beans and lime juice.
- Season well and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes are massively reduced and the mixture is quite thick.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Put half of the tortilla chips at the bottom of an ovenproof dish, spread half the beans mixture and top with half the cheese. The repeat with the rest of the chips, beans and cheese.
- Bake for 5-10 mins or until the cheese is melted.To serve, dollop on the guacamole and creme fraiche, and add the cherry tomatoes, pickled onions and coriander.