Cooler weather means soups, chili's, stews and roast are in my Dinner Menu rotation. How about you? Do you change up your dinner menus when the weather changes? Living in Southern California, I jump at the change to make cooler weather meals. Ones that warm you all the way down to your soul!
Corn and Cheese Chowder
There is so much more than Corn and Cheese in this Chowder. Two different kinds of cheese, onions, bell peppers, bacon, flour, half and half along with some chicken broth go into this easy filling chowder.
It takes about 30 minutes from the time you start chopping up the peppers to the time you dish it out. This recipe is from https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/ She has so many great recipes that anyone can make and master. If you haven't yet, you should check her out.
I have never been much into soups or chowders but my husband sure is. I am so glad I came across this recipe and tried it. I always put this chowder into a sourdough bread bowl. I cut the strips of the top of the bread bowl and spread butter on the strips and baked them until they are crunchy. When you hollow out the bread bowl, you have all that Sourdough Bread for dipping as well!
If you love soups and chowders, you definitely need to make this recipe!!
Corn and Cheese Chowder
- 4 tbsp. 1/2 Stick Butter
- 1 whole Onion, Chopped
- 3 slices Bacon, Cut Into Pieces
- 3 whole Bell Peppers, Finely Diced (red, Yellow, Orange)
- 5 ears Corn, Kernels Sliced Off
- 1/4 c. All-purpose Flour
- 3 c. Chicken Stock
- 2 c. Half-and-half
- 1 c. (heaping) Grated Monterey Jack
- 1 c. (heaping) Pepper Jack
- 1/3 c. Sliced Green Onions
- Bread Bowls
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook onions for a couple of minutes. Add bacon and cook for another minute or so, then add diced bell peppers and cook for a couple of minutes. Finally, add corn and cook for a minute.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over the top and stir to combine. Pour in broth and stir well. Allow this to thicken for 3 or 4 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Stir in half-and-half, then cover and allow to simmer/thicken for 15 minutes or so.
- Stir in cheeses and green onions. When cheese is melted and the soup is hot, check seasonings. Add salt and pepper as needed. Ladle into hollowed out boules and serve immediately.
- I didn't have Monterey Jack Cheese so I used Colby Jack Cheese. I always cut recipes in half or 3rds. It was easy to cut this recipe down if you need to.