Thai Chicken Laksa
A classic dish from Southeast Asia, Thai chicken laksa is a fragrant, spicy chicken soup for the soul. A delicious spicy coconut broth served with noodles, a protein and a handful of other fresh, crunchy toppings. A comforting dish best served with chopsticks and a spoon, for the ultimate slurping experience! Let us transport you to Southeast Asian with this fragrant but simple chicken laksa recipe... ENJOY!
Curries our an absolute favourite of ours and we love how different they can be from region to region. Our Fijian chicken curry and Chicken And Spinach Saagwala recipes, show how similar ingredients can create different curry bases. Different flavours but each amazingly delicious! Click through to our collection of curry recipes for more inspiration!
- Chicken (skin on)- you could also switch the protein up with prawns, fish or tofu.
- Noodles - this recipes uses vermicelli / rice noodles but you could use flat rice noodles.
- Thai red chilli - This could be replaced with a standard red chilli.
- Laksa paste - As this is a quick and easy laksa recipe using a paste, look for a good quality paste. We recommend the Por Kwan brand. You should be able to find this in you local supermarket or your nearest Asian store.
- Coconut cream - again find the best quality coconut cream you can afford.
- Chicken stock - if you have homemade stock perfect, if not store brought works fine.
The remaining ingredients in our recipe our optional, but delicious and therefore recommended toppings:
- Tofu puffs - available in Asian stores, we love them as they soak up all that delicious broth!
- Mung beans/ bean sprouts - add delicious crunch.
- Spring onions / scallions.
- Coriander / cilantro
- Crispy shallots
- Chilli sambal - serve on the side for those that like that extra chilli kick!
How to create the perfect crispy chicken breast skin
To create the perfect crispy chicken skin, cook the chicken separately. To make the perfect pan fried crispy chicken, heat a large pan and season the skin side with salt. Carefully place into the pan, skin side down and leave it to slowly brown, after a few minutes on the stove top, place into a pre heated oven (200deg C) to finish the cooking. Once cooked let it cool a little, while basting the chicken. Rest then slice into even slices. You can have this ready in advance. A delicious method for cooking chicken breast and creating a crispy skin without over cooking.
Simple step by step instructions
This chicken laksa recipe is really simple, let us show you how:
- Pan fry the chicken skin down and place in the oven for 18 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the oven, prepare your noodles as per the packet instructions and get started making your curry soup base.
- Cook off the garlic, ginger, chilli then laksa paste. Then add the coconut cream and chicken stock (add tofu puffs if using) and allow liquid to simmer.
- Once cooked remove chicken from oven baste and allow to rest. While its resting start preparing your serving bowls.
- To each bowl add noodles, pour over some broth, slice and add the chicken breast.
- Finish the bowls with your favourite toppings and ENJOY!
If you love the flavours in this dish then our seafood laksa is a must try.
Thai Chicken Laksa
- 2 Chicken breasts Skin on (See note 1)
- 1/2 ptk Vermicelli noodles
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 thumb size Fresh ginger minced
- 1 Thai red chilli sliced in half
- 3/4 Jar Laksa Paste (We recommend the Por Kwan brand)
- 1 tin Coconut cream
- 400 ml Chicken stock
- 1 ptk Tofu Puffs (Available from your Asian market)
- 1 ptk Mung beans / bean sprout cut and cleaned
- 4 Tbsp Chilli sambal to serve on the side
- 1 sticks Spring Onion / scallions sliced
- 1 bunch Fresh coriander / cilantro
- 1 ptk Crispy shallots
To cook the chicken breast:
- Pre heat your oven to 200 deg C, heat a large oven proof pan until hot, add a couple tablespoons of oil. Season your chicken breasts with a little salt, place into the pan skin side down, turn down to a low heat and leave for 5 minutes, place the pan into your oven and set a timer for 18 minutes. Once cooked remove and turn the breasts over, you should have lovely golden chicken skin. Set aside allowing to rest.
Prepare the noodles:
- Now for the noodles, if using vermicelli, place into a bowl, boil the kettle and pour over boiling water, let stand for 10 minutes until the noodles are cooked then strain away the water. If using other noodles follow the instructions on the packet.
Make the broth:
- Heat a large pot or wok and add a little oil, add the minced garlic, chilli and ginger and cook for a couple of minutes. Turn down the heat to low and then add the laksa paste, cook for about 3 minutes until it starts to darken.
- Add the coconut cream and chicken stock bring up to a simmer, add your tofu puffs and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. The tofu puffs will absorb some tasty laksa soup.
- Grab four large serving bowls and place a bunch of the cooked vermicelli noodles into each bowl. Add some mung beans on top.Ladle over the hot laksa broth to cover the noodles, evenly portion the tofu puffs, slice your chicken breast into nice slices and arrange into your soup bowls. Spoon a little of the chilli sambal and sliced spring onions, coriander, crispy shallots. over the dish.Serve and enjoy!
- Note 1 - Alternative protein suggestions: fish, prawns, mussels or tofu.
- If using seafood add these ingredients once your soup is at a simmer stage and simmer until just cooked.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!