White Chicken Chili
This white chicken chili is creamy, hearty, and so satisfying. It’s a great alternative to a rich beef chili and easy enough to become a favorite family dinner staple.
INGREDIENTS IN WHITE CHICKEN CHILI:
- Vegetable oil - I used canola
- 2 large chicken breasts - you could also use chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat. Another option is ground chicken.
- 1 medium onion - cut into a small dice
- Garlic - 4 large cloves or 4 teaspoons of jarred
- Chicken stock or broth - you’ll need 4 cups or a 32-ounce box.
- Creamed corn
- Chopped green chiles - mild, medium, or hot, it’s your choice
- Canned white beans - Great Northern White beans are the creamiest, but cannellini beans also work well.
- Green salsa - again pick the level of heat that you enjoy
- Spices - salt, cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano, and white pepper -
- Sour cream - I like using full fat to add richness and a luxurious mouthfeel. But to reduce fat and calories you can use low-fat. I don’t recommend non-fat.
- Half and Half - for creaminess and to mellow out the spices
- Cilantro - this is a love/hate herb. If you like it, stir it in at the end. If you dislike the flavor of it, you could use parsley or just eliminate it.
- Lime juice - use fresh juice, not the bottled stuff
Yes, you can make this in a slow cooker. Add all the ingredients except the sour cream, half and half, cilantro, and lime.
Place the lid on and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the sour cream and half and half.
To serve, add cilantro and lime.
I like to serve this chili with a slice of Cheddar Jalapeno Bread.
White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (15-ounces) creamed corn
- 2 (4-ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 2 cans (15 ½-ounces) Great Northern White Beans, drained
- 1 jar (16-ounces) green salsa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup half and half
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ fresh lime
- In a large Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Saute the chicken, onions, and garlic, stirring constantly, until the chicken is no longer pink - about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, creamed corn, green chiles, beans, salsa, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and white pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Whisk in the sour cream and heavy cream until well incorporated.
- Warm, stirring constantly, until the mixture is hot - about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and squeeze ¼ lime. Stir well.
- Ladle into serving bowls and serve warm, garnished with sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, and/or jalapenos.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published March 2nd, 2021 3:37 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!
Load more comments
2 of 3 comments
This looks delicious!
Thanks much for a Mexican version of corn chowder! You've made this a 5star recipe with the special extras. I'm making it today and I'm excited, lol.