Easy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup is made with dry beans, spices, chipotle chili’s and fire roasted tomatoes. Delicious and hearty, perfect for cold Fall and winter days.
It’s soup season friends! There is nothing better on a cold day than coming home to a steaming bowl of soup. Especially if it is black bean soup that has been cooking all day in your slow cooker! Easy slow cooker black bean soup is just that, easy.
Minimal effort in the morning before you head out for the day will reward you and your family with a delicious and hearty meal. I love to make this soup during the week when we are busy and at the end of a long day just don’t feel like cooking. It is also an easy meal to make when you have guests for the upcoming holiday, you can even make it ahead and freeze it.
How to Make Bean Soup
- Soak the beans over night, there is a lot of debate about this step. You do you, if you don’t want to soak them don’t. I personally like to soak them.
- You can use chicken broth, vegetable broth or water, I typically use both but if I am making this soup and happen to be out of broth I simply use water.
- Chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, green chilis and chipotle chilis in adobo combine to make this soup a little smokey and delicious
- Fire roasted tomatoes, add a little extra flavor
- Once the soup is cooked you can use
- The toppings: This soup is delicious without the garnish. But the addition of cilantro, sour cream, pickled onions, cheese or extra squeeze of lime allows each person to customize this easy black bean soup to suit their own taste.
Soup on Sunday is one of our favorite things in the fall and winter. My husband and I alternate between who gets to pick the soup and who makes it. Somethings we agree on chili or another soup and make it together and other times we pick the soup we want and we get the kitchen to ourselves to make it the way we like.
Bill likes very spicy food, in fact the spicier the better. So I do have to hover sometimes to make sure that he doesn’t out spice me and make the soup so hot that my lips are a flame before I can get the spoon to my mouth.
He also like very complicated recipes, and ingredients and enjoys spending hours in the kitchen. Me not so much unless the recipe contains copious amounts of sugar and flour.
If you are a soup fan you might enjoy this recent post, 10 soups for Fall and Winter or this scrumptious broccoli cheddar soup which for some reason I missed putting on the list! It is a family favorite and so easy to make.
Before you go
Tell me, what is your favorite soup? Do you have a family recipe that you love or a favorite cookbook that you always use? Do you use your slow cooker? Dutch oven? Soup pot or cook over a camp fire in your cast iron? We use all of the above, if my husband had his way we would be cooking in cast iron over an open flame all of the time, he loves it!
I hope that you had a lovely weekend and that you found something on Monday Musings that you enjoyed.
Stay safe if you are in Florida, the storm is supposed to hit sometime tomorrow so be safe and make sure to take precautions. Remember that water and wind are not to be take lightly.
Pin Me for Later!
Take care and thank you for spending part of your day with me. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see daily stories and life at home with my pups who make frequent appearances. Or subscribe to the blog so that you do not miss a thing.
This post contains affiliate links, should you make a purchase I will earn a commission.
Easy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 14oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 lb. black beans, soaked overnight
- 1 4oz. can diced green chilis
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 11/2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chilies in adobo
- 1 small pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- chopped avocado
- pickled onions
- lime wedges
- 1. Soak black bean overnight in a bowl of water. Rinse and drain black beans in a collander.2. Chop the onions, and mince the garlic. 3. Combine the garlic, onion, black beans, diced tomatoes, green chilies, pinch of red pepper flakes,spices, chipotle chili, 4 cups vegetable broth and 2 cups of water in a 5-7 quart slow cooker. stir well.4. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 6-8 hours. You want the beans to be soft. 5. Once the beans are soft, you can use your immersion blender to blend some of the beans. I like to leave mine whole. Stir in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. 6. Garnish with the cilantro, avocado and sour cream.
- I also make this soup in a Dutch Oven. I use 2 tablespoons of olive oil and brown the onions and the garlic, then I add all of the other ingredients and bring to a boil. The I lower the temperature and simmer until the beans are soft. This takes almost all day, so start the soup with about 8 cups of liquid, be sure to check frequently to be sure the liquid stays above the beans.