Summer Halloumi Salad
One of my favorite summer recipes has to be this delicious halloumi salad with roasted sweet potato, fried purple onion and fresh mango pieces. The delectable balsamic dressing ties it all together and with a sprinkle of toasted almonds, resting on a bed of leafy greens, this salad is irresistible. I love whipping up this salad when I've got lots of guests over, as it's such a crowd pleaser and healthy too! Nothing beats a nice fresh salad on a summer afternoon. Try and eat this salad straight away, as it doesn't keep well and the leaves will start to wilt.
Summer Halloumi Salad
- 1/2 sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon of butter melt
- 1 /2 red onion
- 1/4 cup slithered almonds
- 300 g mixed green leaves
- 6-7 baby cucumbers sliced
- 1/2 large mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp butter
- 100g of halloumi, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic crème (dressing).
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the sweet potato into thick slices and lay them onto the baking tray.
- Drizzle over the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place into the oven and cook until soft on the inside and beginning to brown (approximately 20 minutes).
- Cut onion into thick slices.
- In a small pan, melt butter over a medium heat.
- Place the onion into the pan and fry until beginning to soften, but not fully soft, this should take around 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a small fry pan on a low heat, place the almods and stir around with a wooden spoon until they begin to brown - this should take around 5 mins, and remove from the heat.
- In a large salad serving dish, cut and mix together the green leaves, cucumbers and mango.
- In a medium fry pan on medium heat, melt the butter.
- Once melted, add in 100g of halloumi, flip when lightly browned (about 1 minute each side) and remove from the flame.
- Add in to the base of the salad the sweet potato, onion, almonds and halloumi. Drizzle the balsamic dressing on top and serve immediately.
- Buy a ready made balsamic dressing (or balsamic crème) at any major supermarket.