Berry Kale Salad
Growing kale in the garden? Or did you buy a giant bag at the store and have sauteed all you handle? Try using up fresh kale and berries combined with tangy feta cheese in this fresh berry kale salad recipe with easy strawberry vinaigrette!
Fresh kale is limited to soups and stews in the winter. This nutritious green is the base of a hearty salad that bring the best of what summer has to offer. Topped with fresh berries, crunchy cucumbers, and hearty pecans, this salad can easily stand alone as a meal.
Skip the store-bought dressings and whip up your own homemade strawberry vinaigrette in less than 5 minutes using your blender or smoothie maker. This quick dressing uses fresh strawberries, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and fresh thyme to give your salad an acidic punch with a hint of sweet.
Fresh kale chopped into bite-sized pieces works best for an easy salad-eating experience.
Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette is a cinch in the blender or smoothie maker!
Fresh kale, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries (or whatever berries you have on hand) along with feta and pecans make a beautiful and delicious side dish for any meal.
Berry Kale Salad
For the salad
- 6-7 cups fresh kale
- 2-3 cups berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.)
- 1 English cucumber
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 4-5 fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1-2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1-2 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by washing the kale, berries, and cucumber. Then lay out kale on a clean kitchen cloth, or use a salad spinner to dry off the kale leaves.
- Then chop kale leaves into bite sized pieces and place on a clean platter or serving plate.
- Next, chop the cucumber and place it on top of the kale, followed by the washed and dried berries. Any combination of strawberries, blueberries, blackberried, and raspberries will work for this berry kale salad.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and chopped pecans or almonds.
- Finally, make the strawberry vinaigrette dressing to top your berry kale salad. Use a blender or a smoothie maker (for easier clean up). For the dressing, place all ingredients in the blender cup and blend for 10-20 seconds, or until the strawberries are pureed. Store in a glass jar until ready to use.
- To serve, top the salad with the strawberry vinaigrette dressing and serve immediately.
- Consider adding dried cranberries in place of some of the fresh berries for a different flavor.
- Make salad up to a day ahead of time, just wait and dress the salad right before serving.