Whole Roasted Herb Chicken
Whole Roasted Herb Chicken, it’s a classic dish for a reason. This amazing dish is a crowd pleaser and actually way easier to make than you would think. Many people think that making a Whole Roasted Herb Chicken is too difficult and instead grab a rotisserie chicken or chicken breasts at the grocery store. While this takes time to cook in the oven, the prep work is actually pretty simple. Phillip and I like to think of this the dish to make for company because we can get the Whole Roasted Herb Chicken in the oven and than have time for making the side dishes and setting a table.
When we first were on a rampage to make a great Whole Roasted Herb Chicken we tried so many combinations of herbs and oil or butter. Each time we made it we liked it but never took a bite and got that “Wow” reaction we are always aiming for. The butter was delicious of course but we couldn’t get over how much butter was going into the recipe. We kept telling ourselves that a lot the of butter burns off and drips into the roasting pan anyway but does it really? Finally in frustration we kind of combined all of the different herbs we have been messing with for this recipe and finally got our “Wow” reaction.
Since then, this Whole Roasted Herb Chicken has been on rotation in our house! We will make this on a Sunday for dinner and enjoy the the rest of the chicken with out lunches all week long. It allows us to have healthy options on hand during the week when we are hungry but don’t feel like making lunch. Toss the chicken into a wrap, salad, or sandwich and enjoy! Quick, easy, and most importantly healthy!
Whole Roasted Herb Chicken
- 4-5 lb whole chicken
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped sage
- 1 ½ tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Remove gibblets from the inside of the chicken and make sure that the inside is now empty
- Rinse the chicken, inside and out under cold water
- Pat dry the chicken to make sure your skin gets crisp
- In a roasting pan or deep sheet tray with a rack pour in the chicken broth under the rack
- In a small bowl mix together the sage, thyme, rosemary, paprika, parsley, and oilive oil
- Rub the olive oil and herb mixture all over the chicken skin making sure to get under the wings and legs
- Poke a ton of holes in the lemons and squeeze them into the cavity of the chicken
- Place the chicken upside down on the rack over the chicken broth and either place the lit on top or cover with tin foil
- Bake the chicken for 1 hour, remove from oven and flip so the bottom is on the rack
- Keep the lid or foil off and bake for another 45 minuts to an hour depending on the size chicken you have. The chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165°
- Remove from oven, slice and squeeze the lemons over top of the sliced chicken and serve!