Velvety Chocolate Tart
If you are a chocolate tart lover this recipe is for you! It’s a velvety smooth chocolate tart with a chocolate sable dough crust. One thing I love about this tart is that the filling is so simple. It’s not some super complicated recipe that you need special ingredients or materials for. It’s literally four ingredients! The sable dough is also pretty simple to whip up as well. It’s not too sweet but it’s not too plain either. I think it compliments the filling perfectly. If you would like a step by step on how to make this tart check out the YouTube video below. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Velvety Chocolate Tart
- 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter 226 g
- ½ c Sugar 113 g
- 3 T Egg 28 g
- Whisk the egg together then measure.
- 5 T Cocoa Powder 28 g
- 2 ¼ c Cake Flour 312 g
- Check out the video for what brand of cake flour I like to use.
- ¾ c Heavy Cream 170 g
- ¾ c Whole Milk 170 g
- 1 ⅓ c Semi Sweet Chocolate 227 g
- 1 Egg Large
- *You can find a step by step video on how to make this recipe above*
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In your mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Your butter should be room temp and soft. The mix should be lump free, smooth and light when you're done creaming.
- Scrape down the mix on the sides and bottom of your mixing bowl.
- Add your egg and mix together until the egg is fully incorporated.
- Scrape down the batter on the sides and bottom of your mixing bowl.
- Add your cocoa powder and flour.
- Mix until combined. Make sure not to over mix.
- Shape the dough into a rectangle and wrap with cling wrap.
- Refrigerate the dough for 10 minutes.
- Cut two 24 inch pieces of parchment paper off the roll.
- Spray both pieces of parchment paper with pan spray.
- Place the dough on the greased side of one sheet and put the second sheet on top greased side down.
- Roll out your dough into a circle about 11-12 inches wide.
- Spray your tart shell with pan spray.
- Take the top sheet of parchment off and use the bottom sheet to position your dough onto the pan.
- Gently press the dough into the bottom of the pan and side.
- Use your rolling pin to roll over the edges to get a clean edge.
- With a fork poke serval tiny holes in the bottom of the dough to prevent air bubbles.
- Use a piece of parchment paper or coffee filter and pie weights or baking beans to blind bake your crust for 20 mins at 350 degrees.
- In a sauce pan combine your chocolate chips, milk, and heavy cream.
- Cook on a medium heat stirring casually until all the chocolate is melted. The overall color will also darken. Be careful not to let the chocolate on the bottom of the pan burn.
- In a separate bowl whisk one whole egg.
- While whisking add a little of the chocolate filling to the bowl at a time. Make sure you do small amounts at a time. You don't want to scramble the egg since the filling is hot.
- Your crust should be out of the oven and the blind baking weights should be removed.
- Pour the filling directly into the crust.
- Bake the tart at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- After it come out of the oven let it cool off for 30 minutes before placing it into the refrigerator to cool for 2 hours.
- Once its cool its ready to cut and serve!
- Don't skip chilling crust. It makes the dough easier to work with.
- You can substitute the semi sweet chocolate for dark chocolate.
- When you are adding the filling to the eggs if your bowl is moving around sit a kitchen towel under the bowl. It will keep it from moving while you whisk.
- If you would like to see a step by step on how to make this recipe you can watch the above video.