A question to my US friends: What dessert are you making for this year's Thanksgiving? Do you want to make a pumpkin pie but dread making the pie crust? I know I do! This pumpkin tart features a graham cracker crust and it is so easy to make!
The trick to preventing a soggy graham cracker crust bottom is to brush on egg wash during par-baking. The egg wash will form a barrier between the crust and the pie filling.
For the filling, I've used Preppy Kitchen's pumpkin pie filling recipe. It is my go-to pumpkin pie filling recipe because the custard is so silky and there is not a single crack in sight!
I decorated my tart with pumpkin seeds and drizzled with white chocolate.
Graham cracker crust
- 150g Graham crackers (around 12 crackers)
- 50g (1/4cup) White sugar
- 85g (6 Tbsp) Melted butter
- 5g (1/2 tsp) Ground cinnamon
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 425g (15 ounce) Pumpkin puree
- 100g (1/2 cup) Brown sugar
- 5g (1/2 tsp) Ground cinnamon
- 3g (1/4 tsp) Ground ginger
- 3g (1/4 tsp) Ground nutmeg
- 5g (1/2 tsp) Salt
- 3 Eggs, room temperature
- 240g (1 cup) Heavy cream
- 120g (1/2 cup) Milk, lukewarm
Graham Cracker Crust
- Put the graham crackers in a zip lock bag. Using a rolling pin, pound or roll the cookies until they are broken into fine crumbs. Alternatively, you can use a food processor to make graham cracker crumbs.
- Pour the graham cracker crumbs, butter, ground cinnamon and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Mix until fully combined and all the crumbs are coated in melted butter.
- Pour the graham cracker crumbs into a lightly oiled 9" tart pan. Using a cup with a flat bottom (or your hand), press the crumbs into the pan to form a tart shape. The crust should be very compact. Place the tart crust into the freezer to chill until firm, about 20 minutes.
- While the crust is chilling, preheat the oven to 350°F . Before putting the tart into the oven, brush the crust with egg wash. Bake the crust for about 5-7 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a saucepan, add the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, spices and salt and cook over medium-low heat. Stir frequently and cook the mixture until it is hot. When bubbles start to form, remove from heat.
- Pour the milk and cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat it for about 90 seconds.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the 3 eggs. Using a whisk, slowly stream the warm milk-cream mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously. This is to ensure that the eggs are well tempered and will not be cooked once it hits the hot pumpkin puree.
- Add the egg-cream mixture into the pumpkin puree and whisk until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the tart crust. Bake the pumpkin tart for 30-35 minutes, or until the middle of the filling is just set.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- The trick to a no-crack pumpkin pie is to warm up the pumpkin filling before baking the tart. This minimizes the shock caused by the temperature difference between the filling and the hot oven, and therefore minimizes the chance of filling cracking.