Raise your hand if you still buy pop tarts… No shame. Did you know you could make your childhood favorite right in your own kitchen?! It’s not as hard as it looks! Some of you may already be familiar with making pie crust. If so, you’ve already got half of this recipe down! You can make your own pie crust or use store-bought puff pastry as well. Either way, the best part about homemade poptarts is definitely the filling. You can make anything you want. Strawberry jam, Nutella, or in the fall- pumpkin filling! I love that the sweetness is adjustable, and you can even make one of each flavor if you’re feeling it.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 tbsp almond milk
- brown sugar and cinnamon sugar to top
For the crust
- Put the pie crust ingredients in a food processor and then roll the dough out into a large rectangle before cutting out small rectangles.
- Mix the filling ingredients until well combined.
- Add 2 tsp of filling to a rectangle of dough and then top with another rectangle.
- Crimp the edges and poke holes on top with a fork to let steam escape.
- Bake at 350°F for about 20 min or until golden brown.
- Let them cool completely before adding the icing.