SUPER SOFT TANGZHONG SUGAR DONUTS
Homemade sugar donuts that’s taste like the bakery shop. These tangzhong donuts with sugar and chocolate melt is super soft and fluffy. They are easy to make at home and can be ready in about 2 hours!
Today, I’m making the classic Asian style sugar donuts using Tangzhong method. I’m a big fan of tangzhong bakery and I personally find that this is the best method to achieve commercial bakery’s standard pastry.
I’m also a big fan of sugar donuts. When I said this I mean if I pass by a bakery shop and see them on the shelf I will grab it! I love how light and soft these donuts texture with sugar coated all over. They are a signature bakery in many Asian bakery shops. Most kids love it and I’m the big KID who is very fond of this old-fashioned but delicious sugar donuts!
If you think this little piece of indulgent dessert is hard to make, you are going to change your mind after you read through my step by step instructions. Also, when you make your own donuts at home, you can rest assured as you know what ingredients are in it. There won’t be any unnecessary chemical that donuts don’t need.
This sugar donuts recipe is great in taste and texture. They are not too heavy or overly sweet even though it is using the deep-fried method. In fact, these donuts are SUPER SOFT, LIGHT AND MOIST. The only thing I want to warm you is you are highly likely to get addicted with them. So if you want to be self-discipline but worry about the temptation, share the love with your friends and family as this recipe can make about 15 donuts.
Not a sugar donuts fan but more on a chocolate side? No worries, I have got the chocolate glazed recipe for ya too! I have make half a dozen of chocolate glazed donuts as I’m sure someone in the house would want to a try the chocolate flavour as well.
You may also interested in PORK FLOSS GREEN ONION BABKA and UBE MILK BREAD if you like my super soft tangzhong sugar donuts. Check out my blog at dreamtocook.com.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER SUGAR DONUTS
These donuts are best to consume on the same day for freshness. If you need to keep away any leftover, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for a further 2 days, they will stay soft and moist.
SUPER SOFT TANGZHONG SUGAR DONUTS
- 2 1/2 cup, 330g bread flour
- 1/4 cup, 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup, 250ml milk
- 1/2 cup tangzhong
- 3 tbsp softened unsalted butter
- light vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup white sugar for coating
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp water
- In a stand mixer, add bread flour, sugar, salt and instant yeast. Whisk to combine.
- Add egg, milk and tangzhong, turn on mixer and beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until mixture is combined.
- Add softened butter and beat on high speed for 10-12 minutes until mixture form into a smooth dough ball that is soft and elastic. Perform windowpane test.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let’s rest at a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Place dough on a lightly flour surface, gently press down the dough to let air bubbles out. Roll it out using a roller to 1-1.5cm thick. Try not to handle the dough too much to avoid getting tough donuts.
- Apply some flour on the donut cutter or glass rim before you cut the donut. Place donut on a baking sheet. Reapply flour before each cut. Repeat until you finish the dough.
- Cover the donuts with clean towel and let’s rest at warm place for a further 30 minutes.
- Heat up oil in a wok on medium heat. Meantime, place white sugar in a bowl for coating. In a separate bowl, add chocolate chips, butter and water. Melt in 20 seconds increments in the microwave, remove and stir the mixture. Repeat until chocolate is completely melt and smooth.
- Deep fried donut for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown then place it on a paper towel. Coat donut with sugar or dip it in chocolate glaze while it is warm.
- Repeat until you finish all the donuts. Serve and enjoy!
- To find out what is Tangzhong and how to make it, refer to VEGAN CINNAMON CHALLAH BREAD. - https://dreamtocook.com/2020/10/11/vegan-cinnamon-challah-bread/