Skillet Steak Dinner
I have just recently started cooking Steaks in my Cast Iron Skillet. And the results have been surprisingly good. As a kid, my family would go camping and I remember my Mom cooking everything we ate in that skillet. And I remembered that the food was always good. Maybe everything taste better when you are camping.
I was scrolling through the internet for a good Skillet Steak recipe and I came upon this one by https://thestayathomechef.com/skillet-steak-dinner/. To my surprise, there are a lot of recipes out there for your Cast Iron Skillet.
This recipe included adding the veggies right into the skillet. It was one of the easiest recipes that I have made on the stove top. Although the recipe did not include the carrots, I have a tendency to add other veggies that I have on hand.
Not only was this an easy meal, a one pan meal, it was also easy clean up too. And if you know anything about me, you know I like to make recipes that use the least amount of pans. Clean up is not my favorite part of cooking!
Skillet Steak Dinner
- 2 New York Steaks 2 inches thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 4 ounces mushrooms quartered
- 1/2 pound asparagus trimmed
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Remove steaks from refrigerator and any packaging and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine the salt, peppers, onion powder, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Rub both sides of each steak with the rub mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Preheat a heavy, oven-safe skillet over high heat until it is smoking hot. Add in 1 tablespoon canola oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Sear steaks in the hot pan for 2-3 minutes per side. Turn the steak onto its side and render the fat by searing it for 2-3 minutes as well. Remove steaks from pan and set aside briefly.
- Add in remaining butter Add in mushrooms and and asparagus. Season both with salt and pepper and toss in the oil and butter over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Scoot to the side and return the steaks to the pan.
- Slide the skillet into the preheated oven to finish cooking, about 10-15 minutes for medium rare. Use a meat thermometer to ensure accuracy.
- I never slide the skillet into the oven, I cook it right on the stove.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!