BBQ Chickpea Pizza
This BBQ chickpea pizza is perfect if you want a vegetarian pizza that’s a bit different, and absolutely full of smoky BBQ flavour.
I’m of the opinion that pretty much anything is better when served on pizza. If you love chickpeas slathered in BBQ sauce, adding pizza to the equation can only possibly be a good thing – so here’s a BBQ chickpea pizza!
I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen chickpeas on a pizza before. I’d certainly never eaten chickpea pizza until I made this one. But thank goodness I decided to give it a try, because it’s excellent.
Since my baked bean pizza worked so well the other week, I thought I’d try chickpeas on pizza too – beans and chickpeas are both pulses, so they should both work equally well, right?
And they do! This BBQ chickpea pizza is so, so good.
Why put chickpeas on a pizza?
- They’re the perfect little carrier for all that BBQ sauce
- They bring another texture to your pizza
- They make your pizza extra filling and hearty
- They’re good for you, so you can eat an extra slice guilt-free
The chickpeas add that perfect little je ne sais quoi.
BBQ Chickpea Pizza
- 1 large pizza base
- 3 tbsp tomato puree / paste (or any other tomato sauce)
- 2 handfuls grated cheese (I used a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar)
- 1/2 a 400g tin of chickpeas, drained (120g, or ~ 2/3 cup, when drained)
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- A few thin slices red onion
- 3 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- Fresh parsley or coriander (cilantro), finely chopped, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F).
- Place a large pizza base on a baking tray, and spread it with tomato puree (or any other tomato sauce). Top with plenty of grated cheese.
- Add the chickpeas and BBQ sauce to a bowl, and mix well. Scatter them over the pizza, along with the sliced red onion and quartered cherry tomatoes.
- Bake for around 20 minutes, or until crisped up to your liking. Serve topped with finely chopped coriander or parsley, if desired.