This pizza pie dish is one of my absolute favorite dishes. It is super easy to make, both looking and tasting delicious. There's no question that this dish is a show-stopper at any summer dinner party. It also makes a perfect md week meal or a beautiful side for a family dinner. I like to add a few springs of basil to add an element of color and bring out those traditionally pizza flavors as well. You can store this dish for up to three days in an airtight container in the refrigerator, but my guess is that any leftovers will disappear within minutes!
#1 - pastry base with cheesy crust, punctured with a fork and brushed with olive oil.
#2 - marinara sauce added and caramalised onion added.
#3 - capsicum/pepper added.
#4 - tomatoes added.
The final product!
The final product!
- 1 savory pastry sheet
- 100 grams shredded mozzarella
- 1 tbsp + 3 tsp olive oil
- 300 grams marinara sauce
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 small capsicum/pepper, thinly sliced lengthways
- 50 grams feta cheese, crumbled
- 10 cherry tomatoes (approximately), halved
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (355 Fahrenheit). Like a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay pastry sheet flat across the lined baking sheet so that it reaches approximately 4 cm (1.5 inches) from the edge, you can use a rolling pin to spread the pastry out to fit the rectangular shape and size desired.
- Along the edges, lay the mozzarella to create a cheesy crust. Spread the cheese evenly around the perimeter (approximately 2 cm or 0.7 inches from the border) and fold the pastry inwards on top of itself to create the cheesy border (as shown in picture #1).
- Use a fork to puncture small holes in the base of the pastry, this will allow the pastry to cook more evenly. Use a pastry brush to spread 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the base and crust (as shown in picture #1).
- Use the back of a spoon to spread marinara sauce evenly across the base (as shown in picture #2).
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil on medium heat and add white onion, stir around using a silicone spatula until browned, this should take around 10 minutes. Remove from heat and repeat process with capsicum/pepper until it has softened - this should take around 5-7 minutes. Repeat once again for the cherry tomatoes, until they are slightly seared, this should take only 5 minutes.
- Lay the onions, capsicum/ pepper, feta and cherry tomatoes evenly across the base.
- Whisk the egg and use a pastry brush to egg wash the cheesy crust.
- Place the pizza pie in the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until pastry has slightly browned and risen until cooked. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Published July 1st, 2021 12:31 AM