Rendang is a dish originating in Indonesia. I recently discovered this and was amazed by the flavors made from such fresh and aromatic ingredients. You can make this with other meats or veggies, but slow cooking the beef makes it so tender. Seriously the beef falls apart and totally melts in your mouth!
While this may not be the most authentic version of this recipe, it still captures all of the flavors the traditional dish will give you. It has similar ingredients and flavors as Thai curries do, so if you like them then definitely give this a try!
For more recipes, follow me on Instagram @tikofoods
- 3 shallots
- 3 tbsp lemon grass if using minced or 3 white lemon grass stems
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp minced ginger or 1 inch piece of ginger
- 3 Thai chilies
- 1lb bonless beef short ribs or stew beef
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 tbsp fenugreek
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 lime leaves
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Make the spice paste by combining all ingredients in a food processor, blender, or pestle & mortar
- Pour the spice paste on the beef and mix well, ensuring each piece is coated
- Using a pot with a lid, heat olive oil on low-medium then add the cinnamon stick, cloves, and fenugreek until aromatic
- Add the beef and let it sear until browned, but not fully cooked through
- Add the coconut milk then cover with the lid for approximately 60-90 minutes
- The beef should be extremely tender when pierced
- Serve with rice & enjoy!