This recipe is very simple and even looks almost “too simple” but it really is an amazing idea to upgrade your regular white rice recipe.
my boyfriend comes from an Israeli Kurdish family. They have many traditions and food preparations that I never knew about until I began living here and spending my weekends at his families where I would mainly eat a lot AND learn a lot about different recipes and techniques to enhance flavor in food.
This recipe is three things,
- white rice
but it’s the technique in cooking the ingredients that makes this a special recipe.
Something you can put as a side dish and it’s flavorful and homey all in one.
I love simple ingredients that are prepared well and taste like home. Even better when the dish is a one pot dish so you don’t have a lot of dishes at the end of the meal :) I recommend finishing the dish with chopped parsley and sliced toasted almonds, or any other fresh herb, because it adds some freshness. Of course it is personal choice and as you see in the picture I served the dish with no herb garnish and it was still delicious.
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 white onions chopped
- 2 chicken breast diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or any other natural oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups boiling water
- First light sauté the onions in canola oil until they are fully cooked and have a golden brown color Set aside
- In the same pan add the diced chicken And sauté until you have formed a nice color Then re add the onions to the same pan
- Add 1 cup of rice to the mixture Season with salt and pepper Sauté in the pan for about 2 minutes
- Add in 2 cups of boiling water
- Cook for 18 minutes on low heat