Keep calm and enjoy some chaat. Chaat is a famous Indian street food and has several variations, it is made with a few aromatic spices, tamarind/cilantro sauces and with mostly onion, tomato, potato and cilantro as the common veggies that go in. Green chili is a great addition for that extra kick of spice levels. This quinoa chaat makes an interesting fusion recipe with flavors and ingredients of an authentic Chaat mixed with quinoa to make a satisfying bowl of deliciousness. Using cooked and cooled quinoa works well to make sure your chaat has a grainy fluffy texture, chickpeas and tamarind sauce are a must addition which enhances the real flavors of any chaat.
Quinoa chaat is loaded with flavors, the addition of quinoa not just makes the chaat healthy but also very satisfying. So a bowl of this chaat works well both as a quick meal and even a mid day snack which tastes yummy and is also super easy to make.
Just like a quinoa salad, even chaat works well for meal prep, you can combine everything together except the sauce - quinoa, chickpeas, veggies and store in an air tight container. Add the sauce, lime juice and cilantro whenever you're ready to eat.
Planning a dish for a picnic or potluck? Treat your friends with this chaat recipe and it will be relished by all for sure.
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 1/2 cup boiled or canned chickpeas
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions and 3 tomatoes (de-seeded)
- 2 boiled potatoes, finely chopped 2 green chillies or jalapeño
- Handful of cilantro, juice of 2 lime
- 1/2 tsp chat masala, 1 1/2 tsp black salt or to taste, 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3 tbsp tamarind sauce diluted in 1 tbsp water, or as per taste
- Handful of roasted peanuts, cilantro and sev for garnish.
- Cook quinoa as per instructions, let it cool down completely before using it for chaat. Fluff it with a fork to ensure a good texture.
- Use de-seeded tomatoes to ensure they don't lose out excess water which will make the chaat watery. Finely chop tomatoes, onions and green chillies, dice boiled potatoes. If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse properly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine quinoa, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, chickpeas, green chillies/jalapeno and mix gently.
- Add spices along with tamarind sauce, mix everything together until it is well coated. Garnish with peanuts, cilantro and sev (small pieces of fried noodles made with chickpea flour). Refrigerate for a couple of minutes to enjoy it nice and cold.
- Chaat masala is a mixture of a everyday Indian few spices used in salads and other dishes to add a tangy and sour taste. It is available in Indian grocery stores.
- Sev are small crunchy fried noodles made with chickpea flour, to make any chaat the ideal way this is a must addition. It is also available at an Indian grocery store.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!