The famous Indo Chinese dish that needs no introduction, noodles cooked in hot boiling water, tossed in sauces and veggies. A delicious treat good in itself but can also be paired with chilli paneer or chicken, gravy or dry manchurian etc to make it one complete meal. It' delicious, easy to make and bursting with Indo Chinese flavors. Well you can totally add protein of choice, chicken for a non vegetarian version, add cooked or grilled chicken and you will just be fine. The recipe is simple and is ready in less than 30 minutes, great for picnics, potlucks and even gatherings.
Vegetable Hakka Noodles
Hakka noodles are a house favorite and makes a delicious weekend treat, make this version and you will not be missing the restaurant noodles. You can even make it for meal prep, lasts good upto 2-3 days and you can also stock boiled noodles upto 2 days and toss it in fresh veggies and sauces once ready to eat.
Having your veggies prepared and chopped before you begin to cook is a perfect way to a lovely cooking experience.
Boil you noodles as per packet instructions or until al dente, set aside. Running cooked noodles under cold water and adding a sprinkle of oil helps it retain a smooth texture and would not let the noodles crumble.
There are various versions of noodles available out there and you can try the one you prefer, in this recipe I am using the Himalayan Hakka Noodles
Vegetable Hakka Noodles
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 large cloves garlic finely chopped
- Hakka Noodles. I used Himalayan Hakka noodles, 5 rounds
- 1/2 cup sliced onions, 2 green onions chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup sliced bell peppers, mix of green and red
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce adjust quantity depending on light or dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a pot with boiling water, add noodles and 1 tsp salt. Let boil for 4-5 minutes or as per packet instructions. Time will vary depending on the noodles being used. Drain water completely, place noodles in a strainer and run under cold water. Sprinkle 1/2 tbsp oil over noodles and give it a gentle toss with your hands.
- In a pan add oil, once hot add chopped garlic and lightly saute until it turns golden but not burnt. Optional to add in 1 tsp dry red chilli flakes to add a level of spice, let cook with garlic for 30 seconds. Add chopped green onions, cook for 30 seconds and add sliced onions. Let cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat until it turns translucent.
- Add sliced carrots, veggies of choice and cook for not more than 2 minutes to retain the crunch. Add salt pepper and sauces. mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add noodles, bell peppers and gently combine together until sauce and veggies are well coated. Let cook for 2-3 minutes and ready, garnish with onions and ready to indulge.