VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE RAMEN RECIPE
There is something so comforting about this gluten-free and vegan ramen recipe. The broth is rich, layered umami flavour, filling and just so delicious! You’ll want to ask for another bowl but your stomach will be too full. Packed with fresh veggies, ramen noodles, delicious stir-fried shiitake mushrooms, and the rich kombu shiitake dashi (broth) creates this beautifully layered addictive umami taste. Enjoy this in the summer or winter, it is too delicious to not want to savour this all year long.
KOMBU VS KELP
This recipe calls for Kombu kelp. Kombu is a variety of kelp (seaweed) used in Japan to make Japanese broths often used in ramen. It is quite flavourful and really adds to the umami of the broth. However, Kombu is not always available and can get quite pricey. I found that the generic variety of kelp does work quite well and will work as a great replacement for the more expensive Japanese counterpart Kombu. You can find both of these ingredients in asian markets or in health food stores.
OTHER DELICIOUS ASIAN RECIPES
VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE RAMEN RECIPE
- 1 Tbsp Grapeseed oil or coconut oil
- 5 cloves Garlic grated
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 6 cups Vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp Gluten-free tamari
- 500 g Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Tbsp miso paste
- 1 piece of kombu or kelp found in health food or Asian markets
- 1 10 ounces Block extra-firm tofu cut in 2-inch squares by 1/2 inch thick
- 2 Tbsp Gluten-Free Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 8 ounces Gluten-free ramen noodles cooked as per packaging instructions
- 1/2 cup green onion chopped
- Carrots finely julienned
- Baby Bok Choy Halved
- Nori Sheets cut into 3×3 squares
- Enoki Mushrooms
- Sriracha or chili paste to taste
- With a clean paper towel, soak up any excess moisture. Then fold up a couple of paper towels to the size of the block of tofu and place it underneath the tofu block. Repeat this on top as well and chose a heavy, flat object and place it on top of your tofu for about 30 minutes.
- Start marinating your tofu in a bowl by adding all the tofu ingredients. Let sit for 20 minutes while stirring occasionally and flipping sides.
- Heat a frying pan on medium-high then add coconut oil. Once the frying pan is hot, put in your tofu slices with the rest of the marinade. Fry until tofu is nicely browned approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Brush on olive oil on baby bok choy and salt. Break apart the Enoki mushrooms as if you were unrolling them. Brush with olive oil and salt.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add grapeseed oil or coconut oil, garlic and ginger. Sauté 1-2 minutes or until it starts to brown then add the shiitake mushrooms and continue sautéing for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add 1 cup of the vegetable broth to deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Add remaining 5 cups vegetable broth, kombu or kelp, miso, and tamari and reduce to low and let simmer with a cover for 1-hour stirring occasionally.
- To serve fill bowl with noodles and topping ingredients and ladle in the broth, ensuring to add in shitake mushrooms.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!