Here's a delicious side dish that's easy to make and yummy alongside a steak and salad.
If your family loves pesto, this pesto pasta will become a new family favorite. I used garlic scape pesto to make this dish, but you can use any type of pesto you like!
Enjoy it as a side dish or just add some meat such as sliced hot Italian sausages and combine together for a full meal.
The 10 minutes it takes to prep this meal makes it a perfect choice for any busy weeknight. A further 20 minutes for cooking is all it takes to get this on your dinner table.
You can get fancy with the type of pasta or use a pasta as simple as macaroni (usually on hand in your cupboard). I like to use tri-colored bowtie pasta as it really dresses up the presentation!
Set some water to boil for the pasta, then in a separate sauce pan, start making a white sauce using butter, flour and milk.
Once the white sauce has thickened, add grated cheddar cheese, stirring constantly to blend it in.
Then add the pesto and stir that in well.
Meanwhile, add the pasta to boiling water and cook till done. Drain well using a colander, then return the pasta to the pot.
Add the pesto cheese sauce to the drained noodles and gently mix together.
Serve right away and enjoy! Here is our recipe for Garlic Scape Pesto, which is quite easy to make. And, it freezes well so it's easy to store any extras!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp pesto
- Melt butter in saucepan, then whisk in the flour.
- Keep on the heat so the sauce starts to thicken right away. Add salt and pepper, whisking constantly.
- When mixture thickens, slowly add the milk while stirring.
- Keep heating and once thickened, add the cheese.
- Add the pesto.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles then strain well.
- Stir the pesto sauce into the cooked noodles.
- This recipe makes enough for 4 servings, when used as a side dish. It's easy to double this recipe, and make more pasta if you want to serve as your main meal. Add warmed sliced hot sausages into the pasta after sauce has been added and mix gently.