Roast Salmon and Tomato Vinaigrette
Weeknight dinners are easy with this Roast Salmon and Tomato Vinaigrette. A few pantry ingredients and dinner will be ready in no time at all!
I started making this Roast salmon around the time my daughter stopped eating land animals, almost 6 years ago now. Its the one dish I make solely for her and its the dish everyone devours first lol. She used to get SO mad that now I make one Big fillet and everyone is happy 😉
Mise En Place.
Let’s gather everything we need to make the Roast Salmon and Tomato Vinaigrette.
- Pie pan or plate or ziplock to marinate the salmon
- Sheet pan for roasting salmon and tomatoes
- Potato masher or fork for smashing the tomatoes
- Serving Platter
- Trader Joes Frozen Atlantic Salmon Fillets. I swear by these. These salmon are so good and perfectly portioned for 4 people.
- Herbs de Provence. This has to be one of my favorite spice blends of all time! HDP is an aromatic blend of thyme, marjoram, savory, rosemary, basil, sage and lavender. Do not be wary of the lavender, it goes beautifully with the salmon ( its also amazing on chicken;-) )
- Garlic cloves. Garlic is pungent and spicy when raw, mellows out when cooked.
- Lemon juice and zest. Lemon adds flavor and helps to tenderize as well. It also brightens up the dish.
- Kosher salt. coarser than table salt and has no iodine. Perfect for cooking.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Adds flavor and balance to all the lemon and tomatoes.
- Crushed red pepper. Adds heat, completely optional
- Cherry tomatoes. Sweet and tart in flavor. You can sub in grape tomatoes or tomatoes on the vine.
- Red onion. A little sweet and very pungent.
- Parsley. Leafy herb, brightens up the dish, tastes slightly like lemon.
- Black pepper. Gives off subtle heat and depth.
Let’s make Roast Salmon and Tomato Vinaigrette!
This dish is simple enough to make any night, not just on Thanksgiving. First things first, thaw out the salmon. Read the instructions on the package, theres a quick thaw and an overnight thaw. Pick whatever suits your needs. This recipe is fool proof no matter what.
Combine all the ingredients for the marinade (HDP, garlic, lemon juice, zest, kosher salt, evoo, crushed red pepper) and make sure the salmon is well coated. Set it aside. The salmon will marinate while the tomatoes roast. 15 minutes is all the marination time this salmon needs. After the 15, make a few wells on the sheet pan and add the salmon. Roast till done, 6-8 minutes. 6 minutes is more on the medium side and 8 is well done.
Remove the salmon from the sheet pan. Let the beauties rest on your serving platter. Smash the tomatoes with a potato masher or fork and Make the Vinaigrette right on the sheet pan. I mean why dirty more plates?? amirite? Just add the rest of the ingredients (red onion, white wine vin, parsley), mix and adjust the flavor with kosher salt and black pepper. Spoon the tomato vinaigrette over the roast salmon and serve alongside my fave side dish, Tostones 😉
Not making it today? Prep it.
This recipe is very easy to prep ahead.
- Thaw the salmon on the sheet pan the night before you plan on making it.
- Make the marinade up to 5 days in advance.
- Wash, thoroughly dry and store the tomatoes on your kitchen counter up to 3 days in advance.
- Wash, thoroughly dry and store the parsley loosely wrapped in paper towels, placed in ziplock bags and in the refrigerator up to 5 days in advance.
Roast Salmon and Tomato Vinaigrette
- 1 pack Trader Joes frozen Atlantic Salmon Fillets (4 fillets)
- 1 tbsp Herbs de Provence*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion, diced small
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- handful of parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thaw the frozen salmon according to package directions.
- Preheat your oven to 425F
- In a bowl combine the Herbs de Provence, garlic, half the lemon juice, all the lemon zest, the tsp of salt, 1/4 cup of oil, and the crushed red pepper. Pour the marinade all over the salmon and set it aside.
- Spread the tomatoes on the sheet pan and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with a dash of salt.
- When the oven is ready, roast the tomatoes for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take the sheet pan out and add the salmon. Transfer it back to the oven and continue to roast for 6-8 minutes, until the salmon is done.. the center will be pink and opaque not red and translucent.
- Remove the salmon from the sheet pan and transfer to a serving platter to rest.
- Lightly mash the tomatoes with a fork and add the onion, the other 1/2 of the lemon juice, the vinegar, parsely and a nice healthy drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the vianigrette over the salmon and serve.
- Herbs de Provence is an aromatic spice blend made up of Thyme, Marjoram, Savory, Rosemary, Basil, Sage and Lavendar. Can be found in most supermarkets.