EASY SHAKSHUKA SUNDAY!
Hello foodie friends,
Let's kick off this 2023 with one of my "NEW" favorite recipes for the weekends. This is my easy "SHAKSHUKA" recipe Now, what is Shakshuka? It is a North African and Middle Eastern meal that consists of poached eggs in a simmering tomato sauce with spices. It's easy, healthy and takes less than 30 minutes to make. The flavors of this dish are comforting and so perfect to enjoy with pita or crusty bread. Just dipping the bread on the tomato a sauce and enjoy the poached eggs, is so satisfying!
The ingredients are very simple with some pantry staples, eggs, and veggies like bell peppers and onions, plus the perfect blend of spices to elevate your breakfast. This blend of spices is what adds bold flavors to the crushed tomatoes: a delicious mix of cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder.
Like it spicy simple add 1 tsp of your favorite spicy sauce or make more traditional with harissa sauce.
My favorite toppings are crumbled feta cheese, fresh cilantro and fresh parsley. Just delish!
Just simple ingredients from your pantry and fridge.
- Feta cheese
- bell peppers
- canned roasted tomatoes
Start with saute of onions and bell peppers.
Then add garlic and spices to infuse the veggies.
Add the roasted tomatoes and simmer so all the flavors are combined.
Once the sauce is ready, make some pockets with the spoon to add the eggs and let them poach away.
Then add the eggs and let them poach in the tomato sauce for about minutes or so.
Let's Dishplay it together and elevate home cooked meals!
Follow for more easy and tasty recipes this 2023!
EASY SHAKSHUKA SUNDAY!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can of roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion thinly diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of crumble feta cheese for topping
- Add fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- In a medium size pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Then add the onions and bell peppers and saute for about 5 minutes, or until the union are translucent. Then add the garlic and blend of spices and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now is time time to add 1 can of crushed tomatoes. Stir all together and simmer for 5 minutes. Then use the spoon to make some pockets or holes in the sauce creating a small nest to add the eggs. Cover and cook for 5 - 8 minutes or until desired consistency of egg yolk.
- Remove from the heat, and garnish with some fresh crumble feta cheese, chopped cilantro and parsley.
- I love to serve it with warm pita bread or simple crusty bread like sourdough.
- Like it spicy simple add 1 tsp of your favorite spicy sauce or make more traditional with harissa sauce.
- Add avocados for a complete meal.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!