Peanut Butter Protein Balls
Simple, wholesome, and perfectly sweet and salty, these peanut butter protein balls make the best healthy snack
These peanut butter protein balls are the perfect homemade snack solution. Made with just five simple and wholesome ingredients, they are gluten free and packed with healthy fats and protein that will keep you satisfied between meals. They are lightly sweetened with honey and include mini chocolate chips for extra sweetness and crunch. The recipe includes coconut flour which binds them and helps give them a soft, cookie dough like texture that makes a wonderful healthier substitute to traditional chocolate chip cookies or cookie dough when you are craving something sweet. My irresistible peanut butter protein ball recipe can also double as a grab-and-go breakfast in a pinch.
- Coconut Flour – this gives the peanut butter balls shape and texture
- Natural Creamy Peanut Butter – make sure to choose the “drippy” peanut butter with no additives. The only ingredients should be peanuts and salt. This is better for you, and the viscosity of the natural kind works better in this recipe vs. traditional PB with additives.
- Cinnamon – this is optional to sprinkle in, but it gives the protein balls a nice, warm spiced flavor
- Honey – a great natural sweetener
- Almond or Coconut Milk – adds moisture to the mixture to help it adhere
- Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips – for a fun crunch and sweetness
Tips for making Peanut Butter Protein Balls
- With natural peanut butter, the oil often settles at the top. Make sure to stir it to redistribute the oil throughout the mixture before using in the recipe.
- You don’t necessarily need a food processor for this recipe, but I found that it is the most effective way to evenly blend. Using the pulse feature helps to combine the mixture easier rather than mixing continuously.
- If you don’t have a food processor, an electric hand mixer or stand mixer will also work.
- Mix peanut butter, honey, and almond milk together before combining with flour and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to food processor and stream in liquid mixture while pulsing to combine.
- Stir in chocolate chips at the end (optional) and roll into balls with your hands until smooth (you can make whatever sizes you want – I usually make 12 with the amount listed in this recipe).
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Peanut Butter Protein Balls
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup + 1-2 tablespoons almond or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Combine peanut butter, almond milk, honey and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Add coconut flour to a food processor.
- While pulsing the food processor, stream in the peanut butter mixture slowly to combine.
- As you mix, the mixture will first look crumbly and then begin to stick together.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Roll into 12-15 even balls and serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.
- Can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 7 days.
What other flour can you use for this?