Eggless Crème Brûlée
Goes by few other names – burnt cream, Trinity cream, crema catalana – this little desert comes with a top layer of hardened caramelized sugar. Break through the top and dive into the rich vanilla flavored custard base; throw some strawberries as well in there! As always, this recipe is EGGLESS and can easily be made VEGAN with a few tweaks!
Crème Brûlée, French for “burnt cream”, is a creamy, pudding-like dessert with a brittle top of melted sugar that cracks when you gently tap it with a spoon.
Good thing about Creme Brûlée is that you can make it a few hours or even a few days in advance and finish off the topping just before you’re ready to serve.
If using the broiler instead of the torch, be sure to let the custard set for several hours in the refrigerator before brûléeing the top.
Eggless Crème Brûlée
- 3/4 cup – Granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup – Corn starch
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of turmeric (mainly for color)
- 400 ml – Full fat milk (or almond milk)
- 4 tsp -Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp – Lemon squeeze
- 1/4 cup – Butter (or vegan butter)
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and turmeric into a saucepan. Keep the heat off.
- Add milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice and start stirring with a whisk.
- On low heat, keep stirring bring the mix to a boil. Keep stirring constantly till you reach a thick consistency (Check video at the bottom). Never stop stirring!
- Add in the butter and keep stirring till its melted. Pour the mix into 4 ramekins.
- Let it cool. Refrigerate so they can cool down all the way.
- After about 1 hour, sprinkle a layer of cane sugar on top.
- Next, we have to caramelize the sugar. You can use a blow torch but if you don’t own one like me, use the broil mode in the oven. Once the oven is heated up on broil mode, keep the ramekins on a rack close to the coil. Keep an eye on them for the next few minutes. Remove the ramekins once the sugar has caramelized.
- Let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes or until a solid crust is formed on top
- Serve with fruits on top. Strawberries go really great with them!