Zucchini Baba Ghanoush
If you don't know what to make with extra zucchinis here is another way to use it. perfect appetizer or even a quick lunch , this Zucchini Baba Ghanoush it will make you double dipping.
Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable, that can go into a salad like Zucchini and White Bean Salad or in this luscious dip. It's mild and sweet flavor makes it a great canvas for other flavors while also being plentiful year-round.
Along with Zucchini Baba Ghanoush being a great way to switch up the usual dip, it also requires minimal and easily accessible ingredients.
- Zucchini - The star of this bright and easy dip. The mellow flavor of the zucchini is a canvas for the bright flavors while also bringing its own natural sweetness.
- Lemon - This adds brightness to the dip and amplifies all of the flavors.
- Tahini - This nutty sesame seed paste is mildly sweet and buttery. It also adds a little creaminess to the texture.
- Garlic - Garlic brings a savory and sassy pop that wakes up all of the flavors.
- Chives - Herbaceous with a light onion flavor, this adds freshness.
- Dill - Bright and citrusy, dill echoes the lemon and adds another savory layer.
- Salt and Pepper
- Pine Nuts - Woodsy and nutty, they also offer crunch and texture.
- Feta - This tangy Greek cheese is often made with sheep's milk. A little salty, it adds flavor and creaminess.
- Olive Oil - Pick a flavorful olive oil for finishing. It adds fruitiness and richness at the end.
How to Make Zucchini Baba Ghanoush
Whether you're looking for the perfect game day dip for football season or an easy and elegant appetizer to serve with cocktails, this fresh take on baba ghanoush is sure to become a favorite.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Get out your favorite pita chips and toast up some crusty bread. Double dipping is highly encourage with this fresh dip!
- RoastPreheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place your zucchini on a baking sheet and coat them in olive oil. Allow them to roast for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool Allow your zucchini to cool down so they are easy to handle. Remove their skin.
DrainPlace the flesh of the zucchini into a strainer. Let the excess liquid drain.
MashTransfer the zucchini flesh to a bowl along with the lemon juice, tahini, salt and pepper, garlic, and herbs. Use a fork to mash it until it is creamy, but still has a chunky texture. If you want it smooth you can also add it toa food processor.
PlateSpread the zucchini baba ghanoush out onto a plate. Top with olive oil, feta, and pine nuts. Serve with crusty bread or pita chips.
This is a twist on the classic baba ghanoush, which is a traditional Levantine appetizer. Feel free to substitute he zucchini with the traditional eggplant. In addition, you can add a pinch of cumin.
Because zucchini has so much water content, you will need a strainer to allow the roasted zucchini to drain. In addition, if you want a smoother texture you can use a food processor to pulse the baba ghanoush to your desired consistency.
This dip is a great make ahead. You can store it for several days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. However, hold off on adding your toppings until you are ready to serve.
Top Tip for Zucchini Baba Ghanoush
This vegetarian and vegan friendly dip is as much about the texture as it is the flavors. Always allow your zucchini to properly drain once you have removed the skin. This will keep it from getting watery while also concentrating the zucchini flavor.
In addition to allowing the zucchini to drain, mashing the zucchini with a fork will give you the balance of both creamy and also chunky. The only question is, what are you using as your dipper?
Zucchini Baba Ghanoush
- ▢ 3-4 zucchini medium
- ▢ juice from 1 lemon
- ▢ 2 tbsp tahini
- ▢ 3 garlic cloves, grated
- ▢ 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- ▢ 2 tbsp dill, chopped
- ▢ salt and pepper to taste
- ▢ 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- ▢ 3 tbsp fetta, crumbled
- ▢ 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for roasting
- ▢ pita chips or crusty bread for dipping
- ▢ Preheat oven 425 degrees.
- ▢ Place the zucchini on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil.
- ▢ Allow the zucchini to roast for 30-40 minutes.
- ▢ Let the zucchini cool enough to hand. Remove the skin.
- ▢ Transfer the zucchini flesh to a strainer and let the excess water drain.
- ▢ Add the drained zucchini to a bowl along with tahini, lemon juice, garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper. Use a fork to mash, creating a creamy yet chunk texture.
- ▢ Spread the zucchini baba ghanoush onto a plate. Top with olive oil, feta, and pine nuts.
- ▢ Serve with your favorite dippers. Enjoy!