Shawarma is a popular Middle Eastern meal that is made from marinated meat, such as lamb, beef, and chicken. It is one of the world’s most popular street foods, especially in Egypt, and is now a staple at most Middle Eastern restaurants.
Shawarma is marinated with various seasonings and spices such as cumin, turmeric, and paprika. It is made by stacking thinly sliced meat, typically lamb, beef, or chicken, on a large rotating skewer or cone. It is also sometimes cooked with extra fat from the meat to give it a juicer taste.
Once the shawarma is cooked, it is usually cut or shaved using a thin long knife. Only what is needed is cut into thin, wide strips. The meat is then served in a stuffed pita, wrap, or sandwich and is paired with an assortment of vegetables such as lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, turnip. The wonderful thing about shawarma is that you can pair it with any vegetables or sauces you like! The most common sauces used in a shawarma wrap are tahini, garlic, and hummus.
This recipe is straight from our restaurant here in Jerusalem. We take the classic shawarma and instead of serving meat we use fish. Typically a white fatty fish like grouper but you can use any white fish such as sea bass. It’s the perfect fist course packed with flavor. The spices and lemony salad mixed with the creamy tahini and grilled pita bread is just amazing.
The finished plate served with a small side salad of parsley, cilantro, and mint seasoned with lemon juice
Onion, fish, and cherry tomatoes sautéed together
Tahini, tomato salad and grilled pita
Marinated fish in olive oil and spices
For the seasoning of shawarma
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon spicy paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
For the shawarma
- 200 grams white fish cut into cubes
- A nice handle of cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 white onion slices and marinated in the shawarma seasoning
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon diced tomato mixed with chili
- 1 fresh pita
- 1 small garnishing salad of
- parsley, cilantro, and mint
- Mix in mixing bowl the fish with olive oil and the shawarma seasoning.
- heat a sauté pan until very hot and add in olive oil, add in the cubed fish for one minute
- then add in the cherry tomatoes and marinated onions and sauté all together
- place In oven at 425 for about 4 minutes (until the fish is completely cooked)
For the plate
- In the middle of your plate add in the 3 tablespoons of tahini
- then in the center place the tomato and chili salad
- place the fish Shawarma on top and serve with a small salad on top of parsley, cilantro, and mint. Season the salad with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- serve the dish with a grilled pita on the side
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!