Spiced Honey Whipped Feta Pastry
Sweet and Spicy feta wrapped in a puff pastry. What more could your party guests want than this Spiced Honey Whipped Feta Pastry appetizer.
This appetizer is incredibly easy to make, especially if you use store-bought Pillsbury dough for the puff pastry! The spiced honey whipped feta is also quick and easy to make! You can have this appetizer whipped up in under 45 minutes and ready for your guests!
Spiced Honey Whipped Feta
Whipped feta is one of the easiest dishes you can make. It's a fan favorite for good reason, and the spiced honey takes it to the next level! All you need for the spiced honey whipped feta is feta and cream cheese for the base. Then make a spiced honey by heating honey with Calabrian chilies and garlic over medium heat for a few minutes until it gets bubbly. Then let the spiced honey cool completely before adding it to the whipped feta. It is important that you let the honey cool because adding piping hot honey will deflate the whipped feta and leave you with a runny dish.
To create the pastry, lie out your puff pastry dough on a baking tray. If using store-bought puff pastry dough, make sure you let the dough thaw for 40 minutes so that it is easy to handle and can unfold without tearing. In a pinch, you can lay the frozen puff pastry on a paper towel and microwave for 15 seconds on each side.
Once the dough is set, pour the spiced honey whipped feta on top. To avoid a mess, it is helpful to spoon the whipped feta into the center of the dough and spread it out to the corners. Be sure to leave a ¼-1/2 inch boarder around the edge so that you can seal the edges and the whipped feta does not spill out.
Add the second puff pastry directly on top of the first and seal the sides by pressing the prongs of a fork into it. Using that fork, poke multiple holes into the top to create an air vent. Then brush over the entire top of the pastry with a egg wash.
To bake, transfer to an oven that is set to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes. If you prefer the pastry to be a touch more golden, you can broil it at 500 degrees Fahrenheit for just 1 minute. Any longer and you will risk burning the pastry.
If you're feeling fancy sprinkling raw sugar onto right when it comes out of the oven for a fresh-from-the-bakery look.
Spiced Honey Whipped Feta Pastry
- 2 Sheets Frozen Puff Pastry
- 4 Oz Feta
- 2 Oz Cream Cheese whipped is preferred
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 Calabrian Chili See Notes
- 2 Cloves Garlic Whole
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg Beaten
- Let puff pastry thaw and preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Simmer honey in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add in chili, whole garlic cloves, and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Let cook until the honey begins to simmer. Then remove from heat an let cool completely in the sauce pan
- Add feta and cream cheese to a food processor and mix util whipped and fluky. Roughly 8 minutes.
- Once the honey has cooled, Remove the chili and garlic cloves then poor the spiced honey into the food processor. Pulse the food processor until just combined
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and lay the puff pastry on top. Spoon the whipped feta to the middle of the dough and spread it around. You want to keep a ¼-1/2 inch boarder free from the whipped feta so that the pastry can seal properly. Add the second puff pastry directly on top and seal the edges. Poke holes in the top to create air vents. Brush the beaten egg on top and sprinkle with coarse or raw sugar (optional)
- Transfer to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the pastry cool completely before cutting into squares. Sprinkle more raw sugar on top if desired.
- You can either use a whole Calabrian chili or crushed. If using crushed or a different type of chili paste, use 1 tsp.