Orange Roll Recipe
This is the best orange roll recipe I have ever made! It is from an old cook book and I have been making them for 30 years.
They are perfect for the holidays!
1 pkg dry yeast
¼ c. lukewarm water
1 1/2 cubes butter melted
2 tsp. salt
½ c. sugar
1 ½ cups warm water
5 cups flour
First you need to dissolve yeast in 1/4 C lukewarm water. Not boiling hot water because it will kill the yeast. The yeast will start to bubble.
In a mixing bowl, Pour 1 1/2 cups very warm water over butter, salt and sugar; cool to lukewarm
Add bubbling yeast and 2 ½ cups flour and mix well. Add beaten eggs and remaining flour. .
The dough will be very sticky.
Cover bowl with a towel and let rise about 1 hour.
Then punch dough down into bowl and let rest for about 10 min. At this point you can put the bowl in refrigerator over night.
If you do not refrigerate the dough you can skip to the roll and bake section.
Roll rise and bake
If you refrigerated your dough, TWO and HALF HOURS before baking, take out the dough and let come to room temperature. Take out half of the dough and roll the sticky dough into some flour until it is not sticky. Now the dough will be ready to be rolled out.
Cut dough in half, roll out the dough into a rectangle shape. Brush with 1/3 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla and one zested orange.
Roll dough up jelly roll style and cut 1/2″ slices and place in cup cake tins spayed with Pam or your favorite cooking spray.
Simply place a dish towel over the top and let rise for one hour.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
More Karins Kottage Recipes
French Onion Soup
Here is the yummy Orange Roll Recipe
Orange Roll Recipe
Orange roll dough recipe
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- 1/4 c. lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 cubes butter melted
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 5 cups flour
- 2 eggs
Orange roll butter
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- Grated orange rind of one orange
To make the dough
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Not boiling hot water.
- Pour warm water over butter, salt and sugar; cool to lukewarm
- Add bubbling yeast,
- Add 2 ½ cups flour and mix well.
- Add beaten eggs and remaining flour. Beat well and cover with a dish towel and let rise to twice the size.
- Dough will be sticky. Cover bowl with a towel and let rise about 1 hour. Then punch dough down into bowl and let rest for about 10 min.
- If making this the night before, cover with towel or Saran Wrap and place in fridge. If not proceed to rolling out dough and brushing dough with orange butter (see below) and then form rolls.
- Let the rolls rise another 45 min to 1 hour.
- If you refrigerated your dough….TWO and HALF HOURS before baking, roll out dough, brush with orange butter (see below) and form into rolls, put on lightly greased pans, cover with dish towels and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Melt butter, add sugar and rind. Mix well. Roll out half of dough at a time. Roll into rectangle spread with orange butter mixture. Roll up jelly roll style and slice into 1” thick slices. Place in well greased muffin tins (kind of push up center of roll from underneath as you place in muffin tin). Let rise hour or two depending on how hot kitchen is.
- Bake 400 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 3 to 4 dozen rolls