Chewy M&M Cookie Bars
These Chewy M&M Cookie Bars are the perfect dessert for kids (and adults too)! These bars are a little sweet, chewy, gooey and loaded with M&M’s! My kids had so much fun helping to make these.
How to make Chewy M&M Cookie Bars
This recipe is easy and does not require too many ingredients, most of which you probably have on hand! Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe. First, in the microwave or on the stove, melt the butter. Then, add in light brown sugar and stir well. Let cool for 5-10 minutes to avoid scrambling the eggs.
Then, add the eggs one at a time being sure to fully incorporate before adding the next. Next, add flour and baking powder; stir to combine. Mix in 1 cup of M&M’s. Pour batter into a greased or parchment lined 9 x 13″ baking pan. Spread into an even layer and top with remaining M&M’s.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean. These will still be gooey!
How to Cut Cookie Bars
The worst thing after making a beautiful batch of bars or brownies is not being able to cut them!! To get perfectly sliced cookie bars, first let them cool completely in the pan before slicing. If you used parchment paper to line the pan you will be able to pick up the bars out of the pan and slice them on a cutting board. This will allow you to get straight lines easier than cutting inside the pan.
I would highly recommend using parchment if you want perfectly cut bars. Slicing them in the pan is not as easy. Another tip to nice clean slices is to wipe down your knife in between slices. That way there are no crumbs on the top of the bars.
How to store or freeze cookie bars
Cookie bars will stay good at room temperature in an airtight container for about 5 days. If you want to freeze them, wrap them in plastic wrap then place in a zip lock bag or airtight container and freeze up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before eating.
Chewy M&M Cookie Bars
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 lb light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 2/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup M&M's, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray with non stick spray then line 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In the microwave or on the stove, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time being sure to fully incorporate before adding the next.
- Add in flour and baking powder and stir to combine.
- Add in 1 cup of M&M's. Stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Spread evenly. Top with remaining 1/2 cup M&M's.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25- 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean.
- Let bars cool completely then slice and serve. **See post/notes for slicing tips!
- How to get perfectly sliced bars: Let them cool completely in the pan before slicing. If you used parchment paper to line the pan you will be able to pick up the bars out of the pan and slice them on a cutting board.
I'd like to try this recipe, but am hesitant because of the '1 lb light brown sugar' listed. Is that correct? Why isn't it listed in cups? TIA ;)
If you cut your goodies with a plastic knife, it will make for a nicer cut.