One of the easiest and most impressive desserts you can make this summer is a galette - cousin to the pie but more rustic and SO much easier! Just take your favorite summer fruit, toss it with a bit of lemon juice, flour and sugar, then mound in the center of a pie crust. Guys, a little secret. I do not make my own pie crust. Like ever. Pillsbury is my best friend. I always have their refrigerated pie dough on hand. Just roll it out to make a bit larger, so you can nicely fold the edges around that pile of fruit. I took this crust up a notch by adding a graham cracker crumble. You could also add crunchy sugar in the raw, or a sprinkle of almonds. When it comes out of the oven, I like to add some fresh blueberries on top, just for an extra pop of color and fresh blueberry juiciness. Serve warm with ice cream, of course! You can do this!
Blueberry Graham Galette
Blueberry Graham Galette
For the Crust
- 1 12" round pie crust, either homemade or store-bought
- 1 graham cracker, crushed
- 2 tsp cold butter, cubed
- 1 tsp turbinado sugar
- 1 carton vanilla ice cream
- Extra fresh blueberries for serving
For the Filling
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, plus an extra handful for serving (2-3 pints)
- 1 T granulated sugar
- 1 T flour
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp butter
For the Galette
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon juice and salt in a bowl and toss together until coated. Set aside while you prepare the crust.
- Roll pie crust out to 12" round. If store-bought, roll out slightly to make a bit bigger. Place crust on a parchment paper-lined, rimmed sheet tray.
- In a small bowl, combine finely crushed graham cracker, sugar and butter. Using your fingers, press the butter into the crumbs until it feels like wet sand. Set aside for assembly.
- Place filling onto center of crust, mounding in the middle, and leaving a 2" border empty around the edge.
- Place 1 tsp butter in the center.
- Gently fold the crust up and around the filling, creating about 8 creases.
- Sprinkle the graham crumble onto the exposed outer crust, gently pressing down to help it adhere.
- Bake at 400° for 15 min, then cover loosely with foil and bake another 15-20 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and topping with ice cream and extra fresh blueberries!
- Use a sheet tray with edges. The blueberry filling can get very juicy and leak out of the galette. You don't want that dripping into your oven!
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published May 31st, 2021 10:31 AM