Pancakes are one of my favorite things to make, so much that I also like to call myself a professional pancake flipper (it's the confidence that counts, right? lol). A lot of pancake recipes I've found online throughout the years make a LOT of pancakes, and sometimes I just want a serving for myself, or for me and one other person. I've also noticed a lot of interest in more plant-based recipes. So, whether you're looking to switch to a different lifestyle or just trying to limit animal products in your diet, this is a good recipe to try out if you want to make some pancakes from scratch!
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1-2 tbs white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbs water)
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tbs sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- Vanilla and cinnamon, to taste
- Orange or lemon zest (optional)
- In a medium-size bowl, combine almond milk and vinegar together and let sit for a couple of minutes until the milk separates (this acts like a "buttermilk," and also helps make the pancakes fluffier).
- Stir in the flax egg, vegetable oil, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add flour and mix until combined with minimal clumps (don't over mix).
- Cook pancakes in a nonstick pan or griddle on medium heat (If your pan is nonstick, you shouldn't need to grease the pan beforehand).
- Feel free to use brown rice flour instead of all purpose flour to make vegan and gluten free pancakes!