Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
Lemon poppy seed pancakes are here to give their muffin counterparts a run for their money. After eating (practically) a whole stack after recipe testing, I couldn't wait to share these delightfully light and fluffy pancakes that are healthier and accessible to those on a vegan or dairy-free diet!
What makes these special:
- Tahini (sesame seed paste/butter) replaces melted butter and offers a rich creaminess to the pancakes. We need a little fat to make these decadent, right? Let nutrient-dense tahini take on that task and create a wonderful flavor AND texture.
- Whipped aquafaba is the egg substitute, providing structure. SO GOOD.
- We get a little extra "fluffiness" from two types of leavening - double acting baking powder AND the reaction from lemon juice (acid) with baking soda.
- Lemon juice and zest offer all the lemon flavor you could want, enhanced by Truvia sweetener, a little extra vanilla extract, and delicate nutty notes from poppy seeds.
Customize the recipe to suit your tastes, if you like! For those not following a special diet, you can use:
- Melted butter in place of tahini
- 2 whole eggs to replace the aquafaba
- Granulated sugar in place of Truvia
- Regular milk instead of plant-based milk
Grab some more tips and nutrition information for the best vegan lemon poppy seed pancakes at: https://inspiredepicurean.com/vegan-lemon-poppy-seed-pancakes/.
As always, cheers to your hearth, health, and happiness!
Whenever you zest fruit, it’s best to use organic. And, with lemons, be sure to wash them well before zesting.
Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- 7 oz. all-purpose flour
- 7 oz. unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choosing)
- 6 tbsp aquafaba, whisked
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 2 1/2 tbsp Truvia Sweet Complete (or granulated sugar)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pure maple syrup (or topping of your choice)
- (2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or oil of your choice) to grease skillet
- Whisk or sift dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Truvia) into a small bowl.
- In a larger (medium) bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (milk, lemon juice and zest, tahini, and vanilla extract) until evenly incorporated.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet, until combined and no large lumps remain.
- Using either a hand mixer or stand mixer, whisk aquafaba on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, or until evenly frothy. There is no need to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the whipped aquafaba and poppy seeds until evenly combined.
- Scoop the batter onto the griddle or skillet that has warmed over medium heat. Flip the pancakes once they start to bubble in the center and the sides look a little sturdier than the center batter. This recipe creates 8 5-inch pancakes.
- Enjoy with pure maple syrup, or the topping of your choice!
- Acceptable Substitutions:
- • Melted butter in place of tahini
- • 2 whole eggs to replace the aquafaba
- • Granulated sugar in place of Truvia
- • Regular milk instead of plant-based milk