Chai Pumpkin Loaf
1 hr 15 min
Pumpkin season is never over when you use canned pumpkin! I thought I'd share this SUPER EASY recipe. You can sub in any type of fresh squash/pumpkin puree (kabocha, acorn, carnival) you enjoy, but I use canned for convenience. If you do sub for fresh, just be conscious of adding more tea if the fresh puree is not as wet. The great thing about most sweet loaf recipes is that you can bake them, wrap them in plastic/foil and freeze them for another day. They're perfect for if you know you've got company coming but you don't have time to bake!
Chai Pumpkin Loaf
- 198g (1cp) veg oil or coconut oil
- 528g (2 ⅔ cp) granulated sugar
- 4 lg eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 425g (15oz) canned pumpkin puree (or fresh)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 400g (3 ⅓ cp) AP flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 152g (⅔ cp) chai (see tips for notes)
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 2 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cp AP flour
- Preheat 350F.
- Bake 45 mins to 1hr 15 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly on each loaf -- at the beginning for a crumble that adheres more to the top, or halfway through for a crumble that falls off more.
- Divide dough between two greased or paper lined loaf pans.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Use a strong spatula to fold all the ingredients together until combined. No dry clumps!
- Make the dry mix: in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, powder, soda, salt, nutmeg, cloves.
- Make the wet batter: in a massive bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, eggs, tea, pumpkin, vanilla.
- Make the topping: in a small bowl, whisk together flour, both sugars, and cinnamon. Add melted butter and stir until combined into a lumpy mix. Set aside.
- CHAI -- I used a blend from my local tea purveyer and steeped it for 8 mins. You can sub any tea or additional spices to mimic chai flavor like cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, star anise
- FREEZER -- To keep in the freezer, allow the baked loaf to cool completely before wrapping it in plastic film and then aluminum foil. You can also freeze it pre-sliced. to defrost move to fridge for at least 24 hours.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published December 22nd, 2020 2:47 PM
Sounds yummy.. I think the steps are backwards though.
Please specify the size of the loaf pans used-they come in May sizes and it makes a huge difference. Thank you.