Today, we're making a Butterscotch Chai Toddy!
Butterscotch Chai Toddy
This is one of those cocktails that's quick, easy, and always a good idea. It's so warm and comforting. And, it works well as a morning time brunch cocktail or as a nightcap while snuggled up under a blankie.
The base of our cocktail is vanilla chai tea. Chai tea is one of my favorite teas, because I love all of the warm spices that seem to warm your soul from the inside out. In a chai tea mix, you'll typically find spices like cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, star anise, and cloves. For this cocktail, I opted to cheat and use a store bought vanilla chai tea bag. The vanilla adds another layer of depth and richness while also adding a little extra sweetness. But, if you have a tried and true chai tea recipe, feel free to use that instead.
We'll brew our tea by steeping the tea bag in boiling hot water for about 4 minutes, and then we'll sweeten it up using a little agave syrup. I LOVE agave syrup, because it's a natural sweetener, it's super sweet, and a little goes a long way. Agave syrup can fall a little on the pricey side, but I think it's totally worth the investment. A bottle really stretches a long way. If you don't have or don't want to use agave syrup, you could use a little honey as a replacement.
Next, it's time to turn this drink into a cocktail. To our tea, we'll add in just under a shot of butterscotch schnapps, give it a stir, and our toddy is done! The butterscotch spirit adds a sweet, almost caramel like flavor to our tea that pairs perfectly with that sweet vanilla and those warm spices. It's so fragrant and rich while still feeling light and comforting. Garnish the drink with a cinnamon stick, and it's ready to serve!
Ok, everyone. You know the drill. Please drink responsibly. Cheers to a New Year full of love, laughter, and good fortune.
Enjoy, and let's drink!
Butterscotch Chai Toddy
- 8 oz water
- 1 vanilla chai tea bag
- 2 tbsp (1 oz) butterscotch schnapps
- ½ tbsp agave syrup
- cinnamon stick, for garnish
- Bring water to a boil in a tea kettle or small saucepan. Place tea bag in a cup, and pour over boiling water. Steep the tea bag for 4 minutes, and remove the tea bag.
- Add butterscotch schnapps and agave syrup to the tea. Stir to mix. Add a cinnamon stick, if desired. Serve!
- If you don't have vanilla chai tea bags, regular chai tea tastes just as delicious.
- You could substitute honey in place of the agave syrup, if desired.