That buttered bread crumb bake on top makes this!
Quinoa Broccoli Chicken Casserole
I have been told to change my diet around and start eating whole grains like Quinoa, farrow, brown rice, etc. I have always been a white rice eater and the other night I was craving the cheesy broccoli rice casserole but given my new advice I thought I would try to substitute Quinoa instead of the white rice and surprisingly it was pretty good. Even my 12 year old ate it and said it was good, my 5 year olds... not so much, but of course they don't like anything at this stage. I kept everything else the same so I wouldn't say this is exactly "healthy" given it has mayo, cheese, buttered bread crumbs, and sour cream in it...it does have broccoli though so that counts as healthy, right?
This is still comfort food in my books!
To cut down on time, I used canned chicken from Costco instead of going to the trouble to cook up chicken breast and cutting them up. I just drained and rinsed the chicken and that saved about 30 minutes.
- 12 servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 45 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Add the cooked quinoa to to the canned chicken,
- Cook the broccoli just until tender; drain and add to the chicken-rice mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Pulse the bread in a blender or food processor to the desired texture. Transfer the crumbs to a small bowl and stir in the melted butter. Set aside.
- In a saucepan mix and heat the soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, curry powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir the soup mixture into the chicken-rice mixture and add reserved chicken stock to make the desired moistness (as much as a cup or more of stock)
- spoon into the prepared dish and top with the cheese. Sprinkle the crumb topping over all. Bake uncovered until bubbly, about 45 minutes.