Healthy High Protein Gingerbread Cake (Oil Free, Sugar Free)
The perfect healthy High Protein Gingerbread Cake topped with a Protein Powder Greek Yogurt Frosting; An sugar free gingerbread cake recipe made with whole wheat flour, unflavored protein powder and no oil. A great healthy ginger dessert for snacking too.
I really had quite a big dilemma here with where I wanted to go with this recipe. A low fat whole wheat gingerbread cake was always the plan, but the protein or no was a whole other question.
I’ve done a bunch of these protein powder desserts - especially cakes - recently, but I’m still now sure how many people coming here are here for the protein or just the healthy aspect.
Put a poll on my Instagram stories for a protein vs regular, and it was without a doubt the most useless poll ever! A split 50-50.
So since neither of us could decide what to go for, I made an adaptable ginger cake recipe where an unflavored protein powder replaces some of the flour; As opposed to one with vanilla protein powder replacing sugar.
Now all that’s needed for a regular ginger spice cake is switching that protein powder back to flour!
I still went for a vanilla protein frosting though because no way am I putting that sugar in.
- 9 pieces
- Prep time: 5 Minutes|Cook time: 30 Minutes|Total time: 35 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8” baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, unflavored protein powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together applesauce, maple syrup, molasses, eggs and vanilla.
- Add warm water and whisk again.
- Add dry mix into wet and fold using a large spoon or spatula.
- DO NOT OVER-MIX or the cake will be tough because of the protein powder and gluten from the whole wheat flour. Few streaks of flour are okay.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake on center rack for 25-30 minutes; a tester inserted into the center should come out clean and center of cake springy to touch.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine Greek Yogurt and protein powder. Stir until uniform.
- Spread frosting over cake, slice, and enjoy!
- Recipe for sugar-free molasses, substitute ingredients and nutritional information on my website: www.haylskitchen.com/healthy-high-protein-gingerbread-cake-oil-free-sugar-free
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go