Spiced Pumpkin Oat Scones
A sweet pumpkin scone filled with warm fall spices, sweet golden raisins, dried cranberries and hearty oats. They're tender, warm and flaky on the inside with a nice crunch on the outside. I like to top my scones with a sprinkling of sparkling or turbinado sugar and a few additional oats before popping them in the oven for an extra crunchy exterior. I enjoy mine fresh out of the oven, but you can serve yours at room temperature if you prefer. These pumpkin scones are sure to be a new fall favorite treat and will make your home smell divine while baking in the oven.
- 12 scones
- Prep time: 25 Minutes|Cook time: 20 Minutes|Total time: 45 Minutes
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients; the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs and maple syrup.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the bowl of dry ingredients. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to cut the butter in until a pea-sized crumb consistency forms. Stir in the dried fruit until evenly distributed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix together until everything is just combined. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, pour out half the dough. Wet your hands and shape the dough into a 3/4 inch thick disc. Repeat with the second half of the dough.
- Freeze the dough discs until firm. About 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut each disc into 6 wedges. Wiggle the wedges at least 1 inch apart. Optionally, sprinkle sparkling or turbinado sugar on the tops of each scone along with a few oats.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the scones are golden on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Let them cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.
- Be sure to wet your hands when shaping the dough as it can be quite sticky.
- If you've accidentally left your dough in the freezer and it's completely frozen, simply add a few minutes onto the cooking time. (3-5 minutes should do)